cider bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssuchem

Reaction score
hey all so i come to you all for help. im looking at a yeast cake of us05 i used for a simple apple cider. just racked into secondary today after 7 days fermenting. fermentation has slowed but not finished. my question is can i use some of the yeast cake to make some bread? i was thinking mixing up the yeast cade with the bit of cloudy cider left at the bottom after i decanted off my cider with a bit of jugar and letting it foam up a bit to get the yeast going again, then adding to bread ingredients to make a nice loaf. thoughts?

The loaf of bread will end up flat and dense if you used brewing yeast to make it rise.

Beer and wine yeasts and bread yeast are different strains. The yeasts that we use produce more alcohol than CO2, while bread yeasts are selected for their ability to produce more CO2.

That being said, I say give it a shot. I'm always up for a fun experiment! Or you could double pitch. Take part of the yeast cake, add it to a mason jar, pitch some bread yeast and make a bread with it all.

Latest posts

Back