Civet cat coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read about it. I'm just >< that much less adventurous than one needs to be to try it.

I saw the band once, I thought they were pretty good. They opened for the Dropkick's, and were way better than the other opening acts. But no I haven't had the kitty coffee...

IMO the Civet cat coffee is a marketing gimmick to upsell bad coffee. The Civet cat lives in an area where only Robusto coffee is grown. If you area a coffee lover, you know Robusto beans are used in Folgers and other "BMC" coffees. Robusto beans grow well, are resistant to disease, but lack flavor.

What you really need to try is Jacu Bird coffee. The Jacu bird lives in South America around farms that typically grow Arabica beans. I've had it, and I must say, it makes a good cup of coffee. Its for sale every once and a while on Sweet Marias (if you are a home roaster).

I haven't tried the actual coffee, but I had a bottle of Mikkeller's Beer Geer Brunch Weasel, which is brewed with Kopi Luwak. It was great.

WOW that must be some expencive beer, that coffee is like $300 a LB, from what I understand.
Yeah, cost me 68 DKK in Denmark, compared to about 50 for a bottle of Beer Geek Breakfast, another coffee stout from Mikkeller. It will cost 99 SEK when it comes to Sweden, which is pretty standard for this type of beer.

I haven't tried the actual coffee, but I had a bottle of Mikkeller's Beer Geer Brunch Weasel, which is brewed with Kopi Luwak. It was great.
It's made with Vietnamese ca phe chon, not kopi luwak. If I had to guess I would say they use a tiny percentage of it too, just so they can call it that and get people to buy in on the gimmick. They may have added more of regular coffee, but the bottle I had didn't taste like coffee at all and was once of the most dissappointing stouts I have ever had. I shared the $15 bottle of beer with the local coffee roaster and he has had kopi luwak many times, he said he couldn't taste it at all in the beer. Mikkeller drops the ball again and beer fags everywhere eat this **** (literally) right up.

Checked their website and you're right, it's ca phe chon. And now that you mention it, it had a weaker coffee taste than the original BGB. Kind of disappointing.

Well, I liked it anyway and I'll probably buy it again.

Back