Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capitelli

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I do all my brewing, transferring, and kegging outside( beer ferments in my basement). My past IPAs when I have been dry hopping and then kegging after a few days, they have been smelling a little wierd. Almost like its skunk. From transferring it outside in the sun for 15-20mins, after letting it settle and everything, will that skunk my beer. After I transfer the beer the hops do smell skunky like the aroma of the beer.

If it is getting skunk will doing it in the shade help or is that too much in direct light?

Thanks Rob

Hey guys,

I do all my brewing, transferring, and kegging outside( beer ferments in my basement). My past IPAs when I have been dry hopping and then kegging after a few days, they have been smelling a little wierd. Almost like its skunk. From transferring it outside in the sun for 15-20mins, after letting it settle and everything, will that skunk my beer. After I transfer the beer the hops do smell skunky like the aroma of the beer.

If it is getting skunk will doing it in the shade help or is that too much in direct light?

Thanks Rob

Yes that will skunk your beer. Do the transfer out of the sunlight, somewhere like your garage or basement.

Back