Circuit board look Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I've just had a plain white old beer fridge that I had converted into a kegerator.
I decided I want to paint it to make it look better. I'm an IT guy so I got the idea of doing a circuit board look, with the various chips on the board being chalkboard labels.
I've already painted the fridge green, haven't done anything else yet but wanted to get feedback on the general concept.
I'm a horrible artist, and even worse in MS-paint, but I drew up this rough concept, thoughts?

Now:
IMG_20210402_164846.jpg

Concept:
FridgePlan2.jpg

#008C4A

The PCB color code for green is #008C4A. Green color lends clarity to the printed circuit board, because white colored text on it will produce brilliant contrast, thereby enhancing readability.
CMYK 100%, 0%, 47%, 45%

You should take a picture of an asus crosshair board or thereabouts and see if you can get a huge vinyl sticker made. Then have your circuits similar to what you have drawn running too it. You've got to have a motherboard! lol this is a great idea I like what you have going on so far.

Have to admit that my first reaction was a frown and "Oh, hell no!" But after seeing the pics/mockups that is very cool! Kudos

Got the bulk of the bottom done. Still need to frame the lower 'chips' and then I may add in some capacitors or transistors to fill up some space.

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_231358.jpg
    IMG_20210406_231358.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 80
I do like the subtle, yet important, touch of framing the chips with the same color that you have going to each of the taps. Helps bring it together a lot. Pretty cool idea overall and will make a nice conversation piece anyways i.e. "can you tell by looking at the design when I started drinking?" 😂 Lead with that question and many beers and convos will ensue (even if you were completely sober during it doesn't matter) lol. Good job!

Now take it to the next level! Imagine that each of the chips were actually LCD screens that reported the beer, description, and how many ounces left? lol. mindblower

I did consider some raspberry pie or similar controllers to make the beer labels but figured free paint I had on-hand is a lot cheaper :)
maybe one day. It would be cool to hook them into a digital scale to determine remaining quantity.

Very cool!
I was going to say "Put a real LED display at the top" but you have it done.
Still if you ever find a deal on a 2nd hand one, take it out of the case, mount it to the top and program it to scroll, flash and all that kind of stuff.

I did a few boards in university and other than the one I copied from a magazine (professor knew and was cool with it) I'm sure mine looked worse.
At one point I was going to scan my diploma them print it on the laser printer iron on transfer mask stuff. Transfer it to a blank, etch it, then run the board through the wave solder machine at work.
Kind of lost interest by the time I worked at a place with a wave solder machine.
Still think it would have looked cool.

Can any of the several PCB designers here tell me why 90 degree corners are avoided when laying out traces?
In stead of one 90 I usually saw 2 45s on a corner.

iu

To the left of the P, those could be 90 degree corners but they aren't. Why not?
I have always had theories as have co-workers but I would like to know the real reason, if there is one.
Thanks

PS is it just me or does home brewing seem to attract electronics types?
I know it attracts geeks, tinkers, makers and the sort of all interest but there seems to be a lot of guys here with more than one soldering iron and a favorite multimeter. You don't see that as much in the general population.

Can any of the several PCB designers here tell me why 90 degree corners are avoided when laying out traces?
In stead of one 90 I usually saw 2 45s on a corner.

I'm a designer. The main reason is just aesthetics and tradition. Low-speed signals don't care about that sharp corner at all. However, for VERY high speed signals (RF or Gbps logic), trace geometry can make a big difference. Also, a long time ago pcb fabricators had a tough time etching certain pcb features, but that isn't an issue any longer with any reputable manuf.

Still, I never use 90's :)

Latest posts

Back