IPA (Two Hearted Clone) Water Profile Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I have seen multiple profiles but nothing specific to what I am working with.

Can someone please help me out on my resulting water profile and if it will work for when I brew up a Two Hearted IPA clone this weekend? I THINK things look good but I wonder if I need to add some Na to get my sodium levels up?

Any help is appreciated!

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 25.5
Mg: 7.56
Na: 4.74
Cl: 9
SO4: 31.2
CaCO3: 79

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 7.91 / 6.89
RO or distilled %: 50% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 23.3

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 8 / 7
CaCl2: 4 / 3.5
MgSO4: 3 / 2.6
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 10

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 110 / 116
Mg: 13 / 15
Na: 2 / 3
Cl: 69 / 71
SO4: 204 / 211
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.34 / 0.34

The Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water has worked very well for me. It has a substantial sulfate content and modest chloride content that helps make the hops 'pop'. The profile shown above should still be OK though. You have pretty nice tap water.

The Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water has worked very well for me. It has a substantial sulfate content and modest chloride content that helps make the hops 'pop'. The profile shown above should still be OK though. You have pretty nice tap water.

Thanks, I am using EZ Water Adjustment and I have now gotten a closer to the Brun Water Pale Ale Profile but my Sodium is much lower. What are my options to raise the sodium levels without affecting my other numbers? Is raising the sodium ppm even needed when making an IPA?

Here are my updated amounts;

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 25.5
Mg: 7.56
Na: 4.74
Cl: 9
SO4: 31.2
CaCO3: 79

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 7.91 / 6.89
RO or distilled %: 50% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 23.3

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 10 / 8.710493047
CaCl2: 2.5 / 2.177623262
MgSO4: 4 / 3.484197219
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 10

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 111 / 117
Mg: 16 / 18
Na: 2 / 3
Cl: 45 / 47
SO4: 254 / 261
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.18 / 0.18

Alkalinity (CaCO3): -223
RA: -313
Estimated pH: 5.35
(room temp)

Anyone able to check out my last question about the sodium levels in my adjusted profile? It looks like canning salt might do the trick but if its not needed, I would prefer to pass.

Either table salt or baking soda would add sodium. Its not imperative to bump the sodium, but I typically do add it to help improve the roundness. Sodium is still kept at low levels, so its debatable that a significant flavor effect is produced. The good thing with table salt is that you can add it post-ferment in your glass to assess its effects. The problem is measuring out the tiny amount to add to your glass to perform the evaluation with any validity. That means that 'adding a dash' is not very scientific and won't help you define what that dose should be in your water, next time you brew.

I would not add baking soda unless you were certain that the mash pH will be or is lower than you would prefer. However, baking soda is a good ingredient for adding alkalinity and increasing pH when used in sparing quantities so that the sodium content is not too high. 40 to 50 ppm Na seems to be OK for some beers.

Back