Ipa 72 degrees too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
I'm doing my first IPA, brewed yesterday, looked at it today and things look good but the temp is at 72. Not sure if its relevant but I'm using dry yeast. Is this too high for fermentation? Is it just a little over and ok? Or should I try to bring down the temp a bit to 68? Thanks a lot!

I would bring the temp down, if possible. Putting it in a water bath and swapping out ice jugs (frozen 1/2 gallon juice jugs work well) is one way to do it.

You can also wrap your fermenter with wet towels and set a fan to blow on it. The evaporation will cool it down.

I've read that fermentation raises the temp, so is the desired 68 degrees the temp for holding after fermentation or the entire time? Also what is a good vessel for a swamp cooler? Any suggestions? I like the half gallon frozen jugs, definitely will be using that in the future

The temp inside the fermenter will be 6-8 degrees higher than the ambient temp in the room. While different yeast strains have different temperature tolerances, you'll want to keep the internal temp in the fermenter around 68* during the entire fermentation period. If you have one of those big plastic tubs (like people usually ice a keg in), that will work well for your swamp cooler.

What temp are you measuring to get the 72*F reading? If that's air temp, your ferment temp is much too high.

What dry yeast did you pitch? Some ale yeasts tolerate 72*F (beer temp, not air) better than others.

BigFloyd said:
What temp are you measuring to get the 72*F reading? If that's air temp, your ferment temp is much too high.

What dry yeast did you pitch? Some ale yeasts tolerate 72*F (beer temp, not air) better than others.

Im just using a crystal thermometer on the carboy

I use a plastic tub with water and ice, I do not notice much of a difference between the stick on thermometer and water temp, I would think that in proper temperature water, the beer will be within 2° of the water temp, as opposed to the 4-6 seen in air temp.

It's a touch high. It's not going to ruin it, but it'll be better if you're able to get the temp down a little closer to the 68F ideal. The tub of ice water trick should work, but do it NOW. The first 3 days are the most crucial, by far.

it's a touch high. It's not going to ruin it, but it'll be better if you're able to get the temp down a little closer to the 68f ideal. The tub of ice water trick should work, but do it now. The first 3 days are the most crucial, by far.

+1

kombat said:
It's a touch high. It's not going to ruin it, but it'll be better if you're able to get the temp down a little closer to the 68F ideal. The tub of ice water trick should work, but do it NOW. The first 3 days are the most crucial, by far.

Thanks for the insight. I got it in ice water once I got home last night and now it's in a comfortable range. Hope I caught it early enough!

I did in the OP, dry yeast. If you need more than that I have no clue.

Tons of dry yeast around, some will tolerate this temp with pretty much no effect on the taste, some others will develop ester profiles you might not like. Saying "dry yeast" is almost like saying "yeast"... ;-)

You don't know what you actually bought at the store? Was that some kind of impulsive drunk shopping spree and you woke up with a filled up fermenter on the other side of the bed with no recollection of the events?

I did in the OP, dry yeast. If you need more than that I have no clue.

The reason that I and others ask about what specific dry ale yeast is that some are kinda OK (but certainly not optimal) at 72*F while others are not. Some dry ale yeast (like Nottingham) like cooler temps and can give you some funky off-flavors if allowed to get above 68*F.

atreid said:
Tons of dry yeast around, some will tolerate this temp with pretty much no effect on the taste, some others will develop ester profiles you might not like. Saying "dry yeast" is almost like saying "yeast"... ;-)

You don't know what you actually bought at the store? Was that some kind of impulsive drunk shopping spree and you woke up with a filled up fermenter on the other side of the bed with no recollection of the events?

Haha no if i get drunk to the point of no recollection its rare that i had accomplished much

And it was a dry yeast included in an ingredient kit. I didnt write down what yeast i used because i thought dry ale yeast was as specific as necessary.

Haha no if i get drunk to the point of no recollection its rare that i had accomplished much

And it was a dry yeast included in an ingredient kit. I didnt write down what yeast i used because i thought dry ale yeast was as specific as necessary.

Aaahh those nice unfresh yeast paks from ingredient kits... ;-) (Of course there are good extract kit providers).

As a general rule, american style yeast don't give too much off flavors while english and belgian style yeast are much more richer on the ester profiles so more off flavors when not fermented higher than the target temperatures...

Which style of beer is that? American IPA or English IPA? If you're unsure, which hop did you put in there?

Yeast pack was pale blue or pink? ;-)

Simcoe and pink

Probably American IPA then with maybe Safale US-05... I'm guessing quite clean even at 72 degrees.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to keep it at 68... Anyway it's late now so whatever you ended up doing, it's probably going to be fine.... :p

I just hope you're planning to dryhop... ;-)

Well i dropped it down to 66-67 yesterday. Well just see what happens. And no im not planning on dry hopping. Maybe next batch

Sorrrrrrrrrry...i debated heavily over it but i decide since it was my first ipa i wanted to just follow he recipe and mess with it next time. Glad to hear the 66 is good now. I shoulda jumped on it sooner but im learning as i go and i know for sure for next time. And man u wink alot at me....

I dry hop everything, back in the kit days, I would still dry hop. If those kits were good recipes, they would be a commercial beer. Dry hop, do it, really! You will be disappointed if you don't.

Some dry ale yeast (like Nottingham) like cooler temps and can give you some funky off-flavors if allowed to get above 68*F.

What sort of off flavors does nottingham produce if it gets too high?

just curious b/c I have a porter fermenting atm(using nottingham) that is creeping up into the mid 70s range. I'm going to be putting it into a temp controlled fridge tomorrow, but I fear that it will be a bit too hot for a bit long before I'm able to get it in there.

Just got the fridge today and its cooling down, building my temp controller tomorrow.

meltroha said:
I dry hop everything, back in the kit days, I would still dry hop. If those kits were good recipes, they would be a commercial beer. Dry hop, do it, really! You will be disappointed if you don't.

+1. If you like IPA then at least just grab a $2 one ounce packet of cascade or other basic aroma hop pellets and dump them in for last week after fermentation is done. Don't even have to secondary if you don't want. This one simple little step will make a MUCH better IPA. $2 and a few extra days to greatly improve 5 gallons of beer!

+1. If you like IPA then at least just grab a $2 one ounce packet of cascade or other basic aroma hop pellets and dump them in for last week after fermentation is done. Don't even have to secondary if you don't want. This one simple little step will make a MUCH better IPA. $2 and a few extra days to greatly improve 5 gallons of beer!

He/She might not have access to more hops so easily, but if yes, it's worth it.

I think leaf hops are even better and simpler to handle... 2 onces even better.

Well damn I've already had this debate with myself and now it's all stirred up again haha. Well if I do decide to dry hop, what are the plus/minus to dry hoping in the primary and not In the secondary?

Well damn I've already had this debate with myself and now it's all stirred up again haha. Well if I do decide to dry hop, what are the plus/minus to dry hoping in the primary and not In the secondary?

Well you don't really have to secondary so might as well do it in the primary... Wait until the krausen has disappeared and then add the hops. Let them in for 5 to 8 days before bottling. Do transfer to a bottling bucket for bottling (dryhop or not, never bottle directly from the primary).

I tend to sterilize a mesh bag by vapour cooking it for 10 minutes and then add the hops, tie a knot and pitch it in the fermenter. Could also use sanitizer... (but never sterilize/sanitize the hops).

A lot of people just throw the hops in there and you might as well do that... I really prefer leaf hops for dryhop. Almost any flavourish american hop will be great for an IPA. Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, Simcoe, Willamette... In 5 gallons I'd throw at least 2 onces but even 1 will have an effect...

Dryhopping is like pitching flowers aromas in your beer....

Oh I almost forgot to wink! ;-)

Haha nice

Alright well I might as well. I'll just have to see what my LHBS's working with as far as hops goes. I'm excited to see how this beer comes out.

Back