Cider newb- adding yeast to prime before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebtr

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to home brewing, working on my first batches of cider. I've taken a bit of an experimental approach to find what I like. We did two pressings of cider- one on 11/17 mostly from apples from my own tree, another on 11/23 with a mix of apples from a local orchard. First pressing made 1 5 gallon fermentation bucket and 3 3 gallon carboys, next pressing made 2 3-gallon carboys. Based on Ben Watson's "Cider Hard and Sweet" I pitched all but one carboy with lager yeasts to ferment in my 50-55 degree basement. (one carboy is upstairs with Champagne yeast at 65 degrees). Added sugar to two to bring up the ABV. Got a good vigorous primary ferment with everybody. Moved everything into secondary in 3 gallon carboys on 12/21- everything tasted pretty good. Checked and noted S.G. on everything before going into the fermentation. Checked the bucket S.G. on 12/3, was around 1.008 (from 1.050). Checked it again when moving into secondary, forgot to write it down, but think was around 1.004

So, I think I'm getting ready to try to bottle. Going to start with this first batch that had its primary in the bucket. It has cleared nicely. Again, want to try different things to see what I like. So, plan to put some straight into bottles for a still cider. But I would like to try to make some lightly carbonated, both dry and semi-sweet. I do have the table to calculate how much sugar to add for desired carbonation. But do I need to add more yeast? And what type? I've read both to use the same, or use a champagne yeast. Although it seems like lots of folks don't add any at all.

As another question, I have access to a refractometer at work. Can I use this to get the S.G? Some things I have read seem to say no. But it uses so much less sample than the hydrometer I have here...

You'll have plenty of yeasts for carbonation, no need to add any. I've read that alcohol affects a refractometer, dunno how to correct for that. If you sanitize your sample test stuff (including the hydrometer), you can pour it back in. I do that all the time.

...I have access to a refractometer at work. Can I use this to get the S.G? Some things I have read seem to say no. But it uses so much less sample than the hydrometer I have here...

I use a refractometer to measure FG. You have to run it through a conversion calculator since alcohol changes the reading. There are a couple online calculators. One is on the Brewer's Friend website and the other is by Sean Terrill.

I don't know how accurate they are. I've never done a correlation study to compare the calculated results from the refractometer and the hydrometer reading. It seems close enough for me since I don't really care what the actual alcohol content is. The refractometer will still tell you when fermentation has stopped (the reading stays the same after 3 or 4 days) and is so much easier to use.

Back