Primary Fermenter Lid Sanitation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles_brewkowski

Reaction score
Hello,

Brewed a double ipa this weekend. Went into my primary at about 1.070. I've made similar recipes before, but have never had to attach a blowoff. I attached a standard air lock this time.

So I arrive to work, and I get a call from my roommate that my fermetner made a loud sound and popped off, so he went ahead and sealed it back on. He did mention that the bottom of the lid was facing upward so it hadn't touched the floor; yet, I am concerend at the fact that it was placed back on without any star san/re-sanitation.

Can anyone offer some peace of mind, or is this batch doomed for infection?

Thank you.

Unless he dipped the lid back into the beer, you are pretty safe. There is enough off gas CO2 to protect your beer from anything. If you are really concerned about it, pull it off when u get home and give it a rinse. From that active of a fermentation, pulling the lid off IMHO is not going to do anything.

Back