Newbie can't get keg pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brand new to kegging, having just gotten a kegerator off craigslist and ordered some (non-reconditioned) cornies off eBay.

I thought I'd had everything set up correctly, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the keg to pressurize. I can hear and see the gas line fill up, but seems like none of it is actually making its way into the keg.

I'm pretty sure the keg holds pressure -- I ordered four, and I'm pretty sure I remember having to pull the pressure relief valve to get each of them open. I've also tried basting all around the line with soapy water, and I don't notice any bubbles blowing up anywhere.

The only time I actually hear any pressure being released is if I loosen the worm clamp connecting the gas line to the disconnect.

Is it possible that I've somehow failed to get the disconnect seated properly onto the post? It definitely feels like it pushed all the way done and clicked...

Or maybe something went wrong with the poppet valve when I disassembled the posts?

Few other details in case they help:

1) I replaced all the O-rings, replaced them with new ones, and applied lube.

2) I used this kit from kegconnection to remove the Sankey coupler that came up with the kegerator and replace it with ball lock disconnects:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=152

3) The regulator seems to work, as it definitely fills up the gas line, but I can't get it turn up above 12 PSI -- if I try it just starts clicking when I turn it.

Feels like I've made some really dumb rookie mistake, but after spending like an hour googling I can't for the life of me figure out what. Any advice would be much appreciated!

If you have gas at the hose connection of the gas quick connect but no psi in the keg itself then the quick connect isn't in fact properly connected or perhaps the female gas quick connect was never drilled out? I had one of my liquid out quick connects come to me not completely drilled out right at the hose connection in the body of the plastic.
Just a thought
Good luck

Well boy do I feel like an idiot.

In case anyone else should google upon this thread, the problem was that I wasn't pulling up on the (spring-loaded) bottom of the disconnect. I was wondering why I was having to push and pull so hard to get the damn things on and off.

Thanks for the quick advice!

Well boy do I feel like an idiot.

In case anyone else should google upon this thread, the problem was that I wasn't pulling up on the (spring-loaded) bottom of the disconnect. I was wondering why I was having to push and pull so hard to get the damn things on and off.

Thanks for the quick advice!

Lol, took me a few tries before I figured that out as well.

Back