speed of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
Ok so I have heard if you under pitch it can lead to some off flavors while the yeast is trying to catch up with your beer and the process can take a lot longer. I brewed a belgian wit this weekend using white labs 410 belgian wit ale II seasonal yeast strain. It says it takes a while to start and I didnt have time to give it a big head start do I pitched it in a mason jar with some extract about 8 hours prior to adding to the wort. 8 hours after that my 6 1/2 gallon carboy was over flowing. I noticed it was getting close so I put a peice of tubing in the stopper and the other end in a bowl submerged in water. About a day and a half later it seems to have almost stopped. I haven't checked the sg on it yet but there is not much happening. Could it effect the beer in a negative way?

thisisbeer said:
Ok so I have heard if you under pitch it can lead to some off flavors while the yeast is trying to catch up with your beer and the process can take a lot longer. I brewed a belgian wit this weekend using white labs 410 belgian wit ale II seasonal yeast strain. It says it takes a while to start and I didnt have time to give it a big head start do I pitched it in a mason jar with some extract about 8 hours prior to adding to the wort. 8 hours after that my 6 1/2 gallon carboy was over flowing. I noticed it was getting close so I put a peice of tubing in the stopper and the other end in a bowl submerged in water. About a day and a half later it seems to have almost stopped. I haven't checked the sg on it yet but there is not much happening. Could it effect the beer in a negative way?

Every yeast will behave differently with every batch of beer. While active fermentation may have slowed its most likely not done. Give it a week to 10 days and take a reading:)

As for off flavor, there are other factors like fern temp, aeration, etc and you'll only know when you sample the reading

The ferm temp and aeration where almost exactly what was recomended. I guess I'm asking to see if I should do anything. My fermentations are temperature controlled so if the fermentation gets to active should I drop the temp? Or is more acrive better? Thats more of what im trying to figure out.

thisisbeer said:
The ferm temp and aeration where almost exactly what was recomended. I guess I'm asking to see if I should do anything. My fermentations are temperature controlled so if the fermentation gets to active should I drop the temp? Or is more acrive better? Thats more of what im trying to figure out.

As long as you are fermenting at the proper temperature for the strain then it's pretty irrelevant. There is no need to do anything but let the yeast do its job, believe me, the yeast know how to make beer:)

As long as you are fermenting at the proper temperature for the strain then it's pretty irrelevant. There is no need to do anything but let the yeast do its job, believe me, the yeast know how to make beer:)

Thats what I was lookong for .Thanks!

Back