First time kegger help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewpert

Reaction score
So I kegged my first beer last weekend. I set it to about 30PSI (Amber ale) and held it there for 7 days. Now I'm not sure what the next steps are. My beer pours only foam. I have read threads about "Turning the PSI down to 12 and you're good to go," but does that mean I purge the tank to achieve the desired 12psi? If you don't purge the tank, and my PSI is at 30, how do you "turn down the PSI?"

If purging is the solution, how long do I need to leave my beer at 12 psi in order to not pour all foam?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you way over carbed it, hence the foam.

Next time, consult the carbonation chart and find your ideal pressure for your temp and desired carb level:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
Set it at That pressure and leave it alone for 10-14 days in the kegerator. Perfect carbonation every time, and impossible to screw up.

For your current keg, you're going to have to get the carbonation down. I would turn the pressure off entirely, put the keg at room temp, and periodically bleed off the pressure from the keg for a couple days (once every few hours) or until a sufficient amount of carbonation has been released from solution. Then try again with the previous method.

That is the chart that I used. I set my pressure to 2.2 units and left for 7 days at 40 degrees. So I'm not sure why its so overcarbed. Normally will it pour perfectly at this level also?

I think I've answered my own question. So according to this chart, for my amber ale (in green), I should have set my PSI between 9-13 since I was at 40 degrees??

This makes so much more sense........Thanks

ewpert said:
I think I've answered my own question. So according to this chart, for my amber ale (in green), I should have set my PSI between 9-13 since I was at 40 degrees??

Sounds perfect. I always shoot for the middle of the range.

Back