Samichlaus Biier - 1994 Bottle ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewNate

Reaction score
SO I am trying to determine if I stumbled upon something great or not....

I was at a Beer Festival yesterday that had a silent beer auction. With 15 minutes left, I noted that for auction was a bottle of the Swiss Samichlaus Bier that was bottled in 1994. The minimum starting bid was $20 and nobody had made a bid.... knowing that you can't go wrong with buying anything for minimum bid, I bid the $20 and won it.

Does anyone know anything about this beer? Specifically anything regarding the age of it? Any insight would help. I am just trying to see if I found a diamond in the rough or just got an ok deal. Cheers!

c_beer_image.gif

(Not actual bottle, mine says Brewed in 1994)

I have a bottle from 2006. I got it when I first got into drinking quality beer. I have heard that Samichlaus Classic Bier is better with age as when it is new it can have some hot alcohol notes. Reviews vary though. Wait till 2014 and have a 20 year and current year tasting.

It's got to be better than a fresh one. If it is moderatley oxidized and not spoiled, I bet it's excellent.

A 1996 Samichlaus opened last year in 2012 was possibly the best beer I have ever had. It was simply amazing. I had a 2007 bottle today that while good did not have the complexity of the aged version.

I feel like Sami hits its peak around 5-6 years, but a 1996...wow! I'd be curious to try it. Might have to sit on some of my bottles for a few more years.

Well I am stoked to have this 1994... I won't drink it any sooner than the 20 year mark. Wow, a 20 year old beer. I will definitely pair it with a newer batch when the time comes and will document it accordingly. Probably haven't been a whole lot of 20 year variant beer comparisons before! haha

Latest posts

Back