Problem with electric heat stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
I recently made an electric heat stick following these instructions: http://lovebrewingcompany.com/brewing/diy/heatstick/ The only thing that I did differently is to use JB Weld Kwik because I has some lying around.

I built it a few days ago and today I went to test it out to see how much water I would lose to evaporation during an hour boil. I did check it yesterday for leaks by submerging it in water for a few minutes to see if I had any leaks. I did not. I collected 5 gallons of water at about 84F and put in my heat stick as well as turned my stove on to get it to boil. It worked great! I was able to heat that 5 gallons of water to boiling in about 34 minutes! I let it boil away for an hour not thinking any thing of it. After the boil, I let me heat stick cool and then set it no the counter. I immediately had about a half a cup, if not more, of water come rushing out onto my counter spilling everywhere. After I got that all cleaned up I looked at my heat stick to see if I could see any holes in the JB Weld, I saw one tiny pin prick and then I noticed that the JB Weld looked like it was peeling away from the metal!

Has anyone else had this happen to them, if so, is there any way that I can fix it? I am going to be brewing my first AG batch of beer on Sunday and I need another heat source to heat up my wort because my stove alone can not boil 5+ gallons at 1 time.

I'm not jb experienced so I am not sure what to do there. If the pot is not ruined I would change the connection to a seal and nut style.not sure if you still have that option. If not and jb isn't sealing the tiny holes, well your already a little on the jimbob approach so you might as well just throw some caulk on it and call it a day.

JB quick. Is not the right stuff. I would disassemble and try again w iJB weld. A touch of food safe silicone on the outside is also an idea.

Back