Fermentation Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOClock

Reaction score
So I have access to some 5 gallon buckets from a certain donut making production line, both names start with D, nowhere on the buckets do they say food grade but I am sure they store frosting in them for long periods. My question is whether these would work as fermentation buckets or if I should only use this type for things like bottling and grain storage. FYI they do have a rubber gasket on the lid.

I work at a grocery store and have several 5 gallon icing buckets I use for fermenting. Definitely food grade, and work just fine

The ONLY draw back is they're only 5 gallons, so you could really only comfortably make 4 gallon batches, neading about a gallon of headspace.

I had that problem, so I also picked up 2 gallon buckets from my local bakery. 4 gallons goes in to the 5 gallon pale and 1 gallon goes in to the 2 gallon pale with different yeast and different dry hop. Makes for a nice variety of beer on hand while still utilizing a typical 5 gallon recipe.

I scored some 7 gal buckets from a local soap making store. They are food grade. Have lids with gasket for a tight seal. And sport a pop-out pour spout that holds a universal stopper w/airlock perfectly.

A wash with hot water and soak w/ DIY PBW and the soap making oils are taken care of. No off flavors or head problems.

The soap store just tosses 'em out anyway, so they were happy to give them to me when I asked. I bring them a mixed six pack of whatever I have in the pipeline once in a while. And buy a bar of soap now and then. Everybody wins :)

I recently acquired a few icing buckets, they say number 5 PP on the bottom. Has
anyone tried to use these as a primary fermentor and if so how was the outcome?

I ferment in a lot of 5 gallon buckets, I fill them up to about 4.8 gallons, leave the airlock just barely in and keep an eye on them for the first couple of days, sometimes I end up with some beer in the airlock but usually don't.

No worries, I've done it too.... More than once :drunk:

I've also seen necro'd threads take off again and go for awhile!

Who knows? Maybe this one has nine lives

At least the original poster still pays attention to this one. Also btw they work great. Not a bad ferment yet.

Back