Simple cream ale thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTaylor

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a recipe, wanted to use grains that I have on hand, and would like any advice.

4.5lbs 2-row
0.25lbs crystal 20
0.25oz amarillo 60 minutes
0.25oz amarillo 5 minutes
us-05
60 minute mash @ 148*
OG 1.044 FG 1.007 ABV 4.8% IBU's 19 Color 4.3

Thanks for any suggestions
Greg

Seems like a VERY light American blonde. Is this for 5 gallons? I did a 6-gallon session saison with 5.5 lb grain and my OG was only 1.030. BrewToad (quicker to use atm) says with 75% eff you'll get an OG of 1.027, FG 1.008, ABV 2.5%, SRM 2, and IBU 12. Don't get me wrong, this is something (with slight modifications) that I would totally brew as a summer quencher, but not a cream ale.

Usually cream ale's have some adjunct's in them such as corn (most common), rice or other sugars.

There is a tried and true recipe on here called Three Crops Cream Ale. Many HTBer's have made it, including myself, and it is a damn solid cream ale. May want to take a look at that and then maybe adjust it to your tastes. I've made it as is and I've modified it a little bit. All were great beers.

Thanks for the recommendations, changed it to a blonde style with a slight increase in the crystal and 5 minute hop additions. Also, this is for a 2.5 gallon batch and should yield an ABV of about 5%. Hopefully gonna brew it this weekend.

Greg

Ah, for a 2.5 gallon batch that looks about perfect! I think the only thing I would do differently is regarding the caramel malt. If you look at the BJCP specs for a Blonde it says caramel flavors are "typically absent," so I would consider replacing it with Victory/biscuit malt. If you do decide to keep it, keep it at .25 lb. Either way, this should turn out delicious!

Back