Electric vs Natural Gas Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhayden37

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm going to be breaking ground on my new house in July. I'm looking for some advice. I have a decision to make - electric or natural gas. Obviously the cost of running pipes and fittings for natural gas or putting in 240V outlets is pretty nominal in the cost of building a home. I have zero experience brewing electrically and have only brewed using a turkey fryer. I have not brewed all grain, but that is the goal once i've moved in to the new house. I know it all comes down to equipment so here's what I have:

1. 5 gallon stainless steel kettle with no ball valve BUT I am intending on picking up the 16 gallon 6 piece brewing set from Bayou Classic which has a ball valve and thermometer.
2. 10 gallon Circular cooler for mashing with ball valve installed.
3. 7.5 gallon aluminum stock pot.
4. Turkey fryer with 3" burner.
5. Homemade wort chiller made from 3/8" OD, 25' copper tubing.
6. 6.5 gallon glass carboy, 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket, 5 gallon glass carboy.
7. A 2' by 4' work bench with plywood top that could be covered with a heat resistant material for electric brewing.

I have many other odds and ends that go along with brewing as well.

I don't want pumps so will be building a gravity system.

My hesitation with the electric brewing is the cost of installing the heating element, drilling into a brand new stainless steel kettle and just the lack of experience with electricity in brewing.

My question about the natural gas is the cost of burners and how to build a gravity system with open flame burners. I'm good with wood, but metal is not a medium I am used to working with.

So what do you suggest? I want it to be homemade, efficient, long lasting and most importantly fun to brew with for years to come.
THANKS!!!!!!!!

gas means big vents in the basement or brewing in a garage.
an electric setup could be anywhere, like the livingroom next to the couch.

If I could plan from the get-go, I'd plan for electric with a new house even though an electric system is more expensive to build.
I might even cheap-out on something and fit in buying a premade or kit electric system with the constuction loan

Both. Pick later.

You can't forsee the cost and advances in both over the coming 30 years. Its far cheaper and easier to put in utilities before the walls are closed and inspections done.

Put both in, then have your choice

Yeah :ban:

and plan floor drains to make flushing and cleaning your new heavy SS conical easy-pesy. (who needs real wood cabinets anyways? fiber board will pay for the conical.)

If you plan on brewing in your garage, then you should maybe plan on brewing with either electric or natural gas.

If you plan on brewing in your basement, then you should plan on brewing with electric.

Run a 50 amp 240 volt line.

Back