2nd Batch Ever - A Dud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasolhe

Reaction score
Drank my 1st 32 ounce bottle of Lemon Weiss
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lemon-coriander-weiss.html
-left out the coriander
-based on the comments i added zest of two lemons after 7 days fermenting
-didn't use secondary

I'm not sure what to think of the taste. It's like a spicy, dull - low carbonation, slightly foul/rotten/hairspray taste?, not really lemon at all hard cider or something. Very weird. Never had anything like it. Was hoping for a shocktop lemon type taste but this one's not even close. 3 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in the bottle, 1 day in the fridge. The foam layer after pouring was about 2 millimeters so basically none there. Aroma not hoppy based on recipe and still though the smell seemed lackluster - this can't be how the finished product is supposed to taste. I don't know. Maybe lemon zest creates this flavor? Zero lemon taste.

Maybe it needs another week in the bottles? Thoughts?

I made a cream ale + lime last summer that came out very lime bitter. I believe it was due to getting some of the white part when zesting. In any event, the taste mellowed out after 2 or 3 months and wasn't half bad.

I've also found bigger bottles take longer to carb up and I try to have them in the fridge at least 3-4 days before drinking so the cold temps can pull the CO2 into the beer.

In summation, let them sit longer (in my opinion).

Sounds like they need a bit more time conditioning and carbonating as 2 weeks is kind of short, try another week to 10 days and then fridge for a few days, not just one.

As mentioned, if you got the pith of the lemon (White part) as you zested you added bitterness to the beer and it will overpower the lemon. Also,, IME, 2 lemons is not enough as the flavor can fade pretty quick.

My concern would be the foul, rotten hairpsray taste. Maybe described as medicine/plastics/bandaid? If so, that would be phenolics and is usually attributed to chlorine in your water source or cleaning products.

letting them sit - chlorine in water could be an issue - 1st batch brewers best ipa turned out great with same water though...

give them more time, you are tasting very green beer. A few more weeks and you will probably find it will have a different flavor profile.

i even noticed that 2nd bottle i fridged early and tasted after 3 days in fridge was better than the 1 day versoin...the other 13 bottles are gonna sit...green beer yep

awesome! Just let them hang out for a few weeks and I'm sure you will be very happy with them.

You could also try what I did water-wise. I was buying spring water (from Ohio source) at the local Giant Eagle for 79c per gallon. Then I remembered 2 local spring water sources. I now get local spring water for 10c per gallon!
So it costs me 60c for 6 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch,+ boil off.
The yeasties seem to love it,& the flavor/aroma is def a bit cleaner. And since I top off still,I chill maybe 3 gallons in the garage in winter to get it really cold. I chill the wort down to 70-75F to account for how much colder the chilled spring water will make the total wort volume in the fermenter.
I've gotten the wort down as low as 52F or so,but 64-65F is realtively easy by adjusting how much I chill the wort in the ice bath.

yeah i fukn hate chlorine...i've got a PUR water filter on my faucet - i just didn't use it for whatever reason - that would be an easy start...

you drive to the natural spring and pick up water jugs or what now? sounds tree huggin cool to me!

I gave it another week and 3 days in fridge, better but still not what i expected...maybe its gonna just be not what i expected... i'll let them sit another week and fridge again for 3 days and try again? good idea or will the bottles i have start to get worse if i wait too long?

yeah i fukn hate chlorine...i've got a PUR water filter on my faucet - i just didn't use it for whatever reason - that would be an easy start...

you drive to the natural spring and pick up water jugs or what now? sounds tree huggin cool to me!

I go to Artisian Springs,where they have faucets to fill either 1 gallon jugs,or 2.5 gallon containers right from the spring. 10c per gallon or 25c per 2.5G container. It's very clean tasting,& they yeasties seem to love it. Gives better flavor to me. Better definition of complexities of the aroma/flavor.
Works well for AE to PB/PM BIAB that I do.

Latest posts

Back