The Dark Side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljforster701

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm taking my first shot at an AG recipe. Basically took the malt bill from one recipe and the hops from another. Not sure if this is a good idea. I want it to kind of be my own granted based on what I did as mentioned. I just purchased my equipment for all grain prior to that I've only did a couple extract recipes. I guess I just want more versatility. My equipment is as follows: 10 gal round MT w/false bottom, 10 gal SS kettle, 7 1/2 gal SS kettle & blichman burner. The recipe is:
12 lbs 2-row pale
1.0 lb Crystal 10L
1.0 lb Carafa II Special
.5 lb Special Roast

.5 oz Nelson Sauvin - 60 min
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin - 10 min
1 oz Motueka - 10 min
2 oz Wakatu - 10 min

Dry Hop
1 oz Motueka
2 oz Wakatu

Mash - 60 min @ 152

Aiming for a 5.5 gal boil. Like I said this will be my first shot. I've read the basics on here and in how to brew. Now I'm looking for opinions. The reason for the New Zealand hops is a suggestion by my lhbs. As a matter of fact I'm not sure they carry the Wakatu. So what would be a good substitution. Another question with hops. Do you pick hops to compliment each other? Thanks again. Love this site.

First, on your set-up, I hope you intend to conduct your boil in the 10 gallon kettle since otherwise you may boil over in the 7.5. Secondly, I'd recommend starting your boil with at least 7.5 gallons of water, if not 8 depending on the geometry of your pot. I use 8.

As for the recipe, way too many late additions and you don't need to dry hop with 3 oz unless you are trying to make an ipa. And event then you only really need 2 oz. Move some of your 10 minute additions to 20 minutes to try and get more flavor. Also... Looks like too many dark malts, either go carafa for a more moderate roast flavor or go roast barley for a robust flavor... I wouldn't do both. Replace whatever you take out with some wheat, I think that would be better.

If I have to use the bigger pot than so be it. That's what I want to end up with is a black IPA. Just trying to make it my own for the most part. Thanks again.

Back