Forgot to stir after batch priming with hot sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzie14

Reaction score
Bottled a 5 gallon batch of True Brew Nut Brown Ale today. I boiled 1.5 cups of water, stirred in the 5 oz. of priming sugar, and boiled for 5 minutes. Turned off heat and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes with the pot lid on. After carefully siphoning a few inches of brew into the bottling bucket, tilted the bucket and poured the hot sugar mix down the side of the bucket. I didn't let the sugar cool much, and I forgot to stir after adding the priming sugar. Will the hot sugar negatively affect the beer or carbonation? Will the swirling of the siphoned beer be enough to mix the sugar into the brew? I'll have to wait a few weeks before knowing for sure!

The heat may have shocked/killed some of the yeast to the amount in the bucket, but depends on the temp.

As for stirring, best not to stir IMO. I just put the priming solution in the bucket first, then siphon the beer into the bucket on top. The natural swirling action always works just fine and less chance to stir in oxygen.

Don't worry about it. Just give it a couple of weeks to carb and enjoy.

The hot priming solution will not impact the yeast - the 5 gallons of beer will quickly cool down 1.5 cups of hot liquid. And I've never stirred and have never had an issue. No worries.

I have had some issues with even carbonation. I almost always add the priming solution while it is still hot. I have stirred some and had uneven carb in different bottles. I have also not stirred and had uneven carb in different bottles. Other batches were perfect. So who knows???

I have never let the sugar cool down when I prime. I boil for five minutes, then pour it into my bottling bucket, then rack on top of it. I have never had a problem--like JLem said, the 1.5 cups of hot water is insignificant to the 80 cups of beer.

Back