Chilling 6.5g Carboy during fermentation for Kolsch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwimbody

Reaction score
I have a nice sized garage that's perfect for brewing and this weekend will be our first batch. About to drop $400 on related equipment needed plus batch supplies. Problem is keeping the carboy chilled during fermentation BUT... I do have a nice space under my staircase to the upstairs of my house. Ambient temp in the house is around 74 degrees during the year. Anyone found a cheap way to chill the beer down to that magic 60-65 for the fermentation time? Was thinking of a cheap rope bucket from Wallyworld plus a little water in the bottom plus a frozen bottle of water I swap out each day to maintain temps. Anyone do this in their house for Kolsch beers?

I have a nice sized garage that's perfect for brewing and this weekend will be our first batch. About to drop $400 on related equipment needed plus batch supplies. Problem is keeping the carboy chilled during fermentation BUT... I do have a nice space under my staircase to the upstairs of my house. Ambient temp in the house is around 74 degrees during the year. Anyone found a cheap way to chill the beer down to that magic 60-65 for the fermentation time? Was thinking of a cheap rope bucket from Wallyworld plus a little water in the bottom plus a frozen bottle of water I swap out each day to maintain temps. Anyone do this in their house for Kolsch beers?

That’s a very common method of providing some level of temp control. If you can aim a small fan at the fermenter and keep an old towel, t-shirt, or similar draped over the fermenter to wick the water up over it, you will be able to keep the beer reasonably close to the temp range for ale yeasts. Frozen water bottles are good; you might have to change them out a couple times a day, like in the morning and in the evening.

Welcome to the hobby and keep us posted on the progress of your first brew.

Back