Off flavors with honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I brewed a honey stout and it seems to have a background sort of tart flavor. It is not apparent in every sip. It is a taste that I noticed in several beers brewed by a friend who only used extract kits.

Basically this is a milk stout to which I added 2lbs of honey at flameout. OG was 1.070 and fermented with WLP004 (Irish Ale) at 65F. First mistake was not making a starter due to time issues. 5.5 gal. at 1.070 without a starter...Doh!

It sat in the primary (glass carboy) for 50 days. When I racked to the bottling bucket I pulled out a sample. It tasted wonderful. Primed with corn sugar. After 21 days in the bottles at 64F, and 3 days in the fridge, it now has this tartness lingering in the background. The head is beautiful and leaves good lacing on the glass. The aroma is nice. The wife agreed with the off flavor.

So...any ideas? More conditioning in the bottles? I'll check it in another week or two. I have also read on here that honey can leave some off flavors that need extra time to clean up. What about my priming sugar...is there a better option? I have always used corn sugar and never had a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Back