Having some foaming issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klickmania

Reaction score
I've been kegging for about a year now and this has just recently become a problem. For some reason a lot of my beers have been ridiculously foamy. I chalked the first few batches up to over carbing because I tried the 30 psi and shake method. I reverted back to the set and forget method which I thought would solve the problem, but I'm still getting foamy pours. If I'm pouring a few beers in a row the second pint isn't nearly as foamy as the first. After thinking about it some, I did some investigating. I noticed I was getting air gaps in my beer lines near the connectors after I let it sit for a while.

I recently added a Co2 diffuser block and a second tap line but this started with just a single tap line. I usually carb and serve at or around 10 PSI and 35-40 degrees F (no temp controller yet), and that usually gets me around 2.0 to 2.3 volumes. I also had an issue with a 5 gallon batch not carbonating after close to 2 weeks at 10 psi. And I mean, flat as can be after 10 days on the gas. It showed no signs whatsoever of carbonation, which I though was weird. I swapped out to a spare tank I had laying around that I'm still using now. That tank currently carbonated and is now serving 10 gallons of foamy first pour beers. I also have 5 foot beer lines if that matters. I've used the online balancing calculators and my system is pretty balanced from what I can tell.

FYI I have a dual stage regulator on my five pound tank. All this has happened with the main gauge reading near or under the red portion, but I was still getting 10-11 psi at the line regulator. I thought as long as I had the correct psi going into the keg/diffuser I wouldn't have any issues until I ran out of gas.

My question is, what is causing the air gaps in my beer lines?? I'm pretty sure that's why it's foaming so bad. Thanks ahead for any input.

Here's what my lines look like a few minutes after I pour a pint, as well as my current pressure readings.

image-2604438297.jpg

image-2274962130.jpg

image-2798457672.jpg

image-3005583278.jpg

image-1309019521.jpg

I have a similar issue. I think it may be due to bad o-rings on the poppets. I am gonna get new o-rings for a couple of my kegs and see what happens.

Are your taps cooled? My first pour is foamy too due to my taps not being cold but the rest of them are perfect.

Strictly a guess but it seems to me if your getting co2 coming out of solution in the lines that it could be due to not having enough line to create enough resistance to keep the co2 in suspension. I use 10' lines and haven't noticed any bubbles building in the lines and get consistent even pours. Pours a but slower but a few seconds I'd rather wait to not get a half glass of foam. Just my .02 but I'd try longer lines.

BansheeRider said:
Are your taps cooled? My first pour is foamy too due to my taps not being cold but the rest of them are perfect.

Taps are mounted to my fridge door so they're cooled in a way. I don't have a tower or anything.

GilSwillBasementBrews said:
Strictly a guess but it seems to me if your getting co2 coming out of solution in the lines that it could be due to not having enough line to create enough resistance to keep the co2 in suspension. I use 10' lines and haven't noticed any bubbles building in the lines and get consistent even pours. Pours a but slower but a few seconds I'd rather wait to not get a half glass of foam. Just my .02 but I'd try longer lines.

Could that be a product of it getting warmer out and not having set temperature control? Like I said, this hasn't been an issue before.

It has nothing to do with line length, that's only relevant when you're actually pouring. If you're seeing bubbles forming in the line when the beer isn't moving, it can only be a few things:

1) Your regulator is set below the pressure that the keg is carbed to, so CO2 is coming out of solution to even things out

2) Your lines are warmer than the keg

3) Your dip tube o-ring (or even the dip tube itself) is compromised, allowing gas from the headspace to enter the liquid line

#1 is easy to fix. If it's #2, installing a cheap PC fan can really help even the temperature out. And regardless, you should find a way to keep that condensation under control!

It has nothing to do with line length, that's only relevant when you're actually pouring. If you're seeing bubbles forming in the line when the beer isn't moving, it can only be a few things:

1) Your regulator is set below the pressure that the keg is carbed to, so CO2 is coming out of solution to even things out

2) Your lines are warmer than the keg

3) Your dip tube o-ring (or even the dip tube itself) is compromised, allowing gas from the headspace to enter the liquid line

#1 is easy to fix. If it's #2, installing a cheap PC fan can really help even the temperature out. And regardless, you should find a way to keep that condensation under control!

What he said ^

Back