National Homebrew Day - May 4th 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to go AG for the first time! Whip up a Scotch Ale,but I'll have to schedule a test run on new equipment. Gotta check things like boil off rate, propane usage, mash tun performance etc.

I can't wait....

I tested all my new equipment twice in the last month, calculating boil off, deadspace in BK and CF Chiller and what not. I have everything i need to go BIAB so i might do that, I don'tthink i'll have my false bottom in time to go full all grain but i'd be psyched if i did!

So, I've got 5 beers in the lineup right now, so I'm not sure what to brew. The cream ale is definitely first, and then after that I have 4 beers that seem to pair up so I'll probably do two more double brew days. I have a 60/- and a wee heavy plus an ordinary bitter and an ESB. Not sure if I should do the two scottish ales together and then the two british, or have a low gravity day and a high gravity day. What do you guys think?

I'll most likely do another partial mash. Just don't know what atm. I have a NZ hopped IPA winding down initial fermentation now. Maybe a pale ale or wheat beer?...

I'll be brewing, but I'm on the fence about exactly what. I was thinking of trying that belgian blonde recipe but my wife has keeps talking about wit.

I just brewed 15 gallons not so long ago, so I decided to do something that will age well - a robust porter aged in a bourbon barrel. A local brewery, Rivertown, is have a brew out there. We'll brew in the parking lot while my home brew club grills out and you can get tours of the brewery and $1 off their pints. Had a good time last year, but didn't brew. So this year I'm brewing and it will be my first time not brewing at my house. Should be interesting.

Sadly (only kind of true), I can't brew that day because I will be having about 25 people over for a BBQ to celebrate my birthday. We will be drinking from six nearly full kegs: kolsch, German pale ale, Irish red, Dusseldorf altbier, dry stout, and imperial stout. I just hope all these animals don't drink ALL of my beer.

If my out of town guests are up for it, I may try to brew my sessionable blonde ale on Sunday.

I'm brewing a double IPA with simcoe/citra. I can already taste it now, mmmmmmm.

I am going to have to push my brewing off until the 5th. It sucks, but I'm coaching my daughters softball team and we start pictures at 8:30, then a parade at 1 and a game at 5:30.

I'd do it in stages, but my habbit of drinking beer during brewing probably would be a bad thing when coaching that 5:30 game.

Well,midwest is in the middle of a warehouse expansion,& 6 days of orders are backed up,including mine. Might not get my ingredients in time?...was going to brew a PM Berliner Weisse.

Going to brew either a RIS or a brew I call Not So wit. Think of a wit, now add a nice amber color, and wayyyy more flavor. My closest LHBS is giving 50% off of whatever ingredients you purchase to brew on site with so I may be forced to the RIS :tank:

I have 5 full kegs in the keezer. Having a BabyQ/co-ed shower for twin grandsons due in late June.
Bet they are all gone before Cinco de Mayo

A local brew shop is hosting its annual event where you bring a new brewer and they give you a kit to brew. So my brew buddy and I are going to try and get this other guy into it. Im pretty excited, I haven't hung out with a lot of other brewers, hopefully my maple porter is conditioned by then.

So, I've got 5 beers in the lineup right now, so I'm not sure what to brew. The cream ale is definitely first, and then after that I have 4 beers that seem to pair up so I'll probably do two more double brew days. I have a 60/- and a wee heavy plus an ordinary bitter and an ESB. Not sure if I should do the two scottish ales together and then the two british, or have a low gravity day and a high gravity day. What do you guys think?

If you do both low gravity brews you should have a whole bunch of happy yeast for the high gravity brews. Cheers!:tank:

This year I'm going to try for a triple play. I have a a lot of Belgian yeast so they should be happy with the same fermentation temps. It's going to be a BelgIPA with some wlp530, a Dubbel with wlp 545, and a 10 gallon split batch of spiced saison with wlp 565 and the other with wyeast 3724 and some harvested saison yeast from a bottle of Epic straight up. I'm pretty excited, going to be fun:)

Cyclman said:
Beacon Point Brewclub is brewing 10G of the More Fun Blonde!

I'm doing 5G of this myself I've got a bunch of washed Belgian yeast

BIAB AG RIS to age for SWMBO's 30th, and I'm going to try to use the spent grains plus a few other #s to make another stout.

All grain 5gal weizenbock, bottling a 10 gal wit, and polishing off some kegs. Should be a long day

Can't brew that day, but I will be attending St. Louis Microfest that afternoon. We've done that for the past couple years and it's always a blast. Sadly, I missed the cutoff for their homebrew competition this year... :(

Our homebrew club gets together for a big brew day at a local commercial brewery (2 brothers). The brewery mashes a neutral grain bill and then fills the kettles for everybody in attendance that wants to brew. We add our own hops, steeping grains, extract, etc. I am looking forward to the event as it will be my first time attending. There should be about 35 of us there this year.

I am also going to be brewing with a couple of friends on Sunday. Making a German Pills for my first lager attempt.

American honey pale ale is boiling as we speak! Its my first partial mash with 1# of c15 and 1/2 # of white wheat T 158 for 45 minutes. Then added 6#'s of UL LME. Followed with 1.5#'s of wildflower honey at 5 min. Boiling an hour with .5 oz cascade at 60 min, 2 oz at 30 then 5 minutes each.

Yum

Great day for me. Made a porter. Hit all my numbers with my 2nd BIAB ever. Well I guess the volume was a bit low but it's because I was using a borrowed wort chiller and it took a little longer than expected. But I'm not too worried about that.

The other "issue" was we stayed quite a bit longer after our beer was done so it sat at about 72F for about 4 hours and it was already bubbling when we got home so I cooled it down to about 63F in my swamp cooler. Hopefully I don't get any off flavors from that.

This will be aged in my 5 gal bourbon barrel.

Made my first IPA, which is a Two Hearted Ale clone. Also introduced my neighbor to the hobby since he was helping me out with my brew and even had the cops stop and ask me what I was doing right before they arrested a guy living next door.

I'm tired.

Started a RIS yesterday morning, started re-using the grains (with some help) for a stout, but ran out of time because I had to run out, so I mashed overnight, woke up early, finished the stout, and immediately started up a pale ale, which came in under, so I had to boil for an hour, now the hops are in, and I can begin to clean up from all of this before cooling and pitching.

And to think I almost didn't brew at all this weekend, ha.

Back