Where did it go wrong ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intenso

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just recently decided to take up homebrewing and bought the Coopers starter kit to get me started.

So using the lager kit and beer enhancer I follow the instructions and got an OG of 1034 (no yeast added).

Using some of the advice on the forums i've left it for two weeks and have an FG of 1012 and it looks fully fermented out.

Question is the OG seems low and the FG quite high and going by the calculators the beer is going to be around 2.9%? This seems very low and just wondering what could have happened to my brew to make it so low ?

Cheers for any advice!

I'm not familiar with the Coopers kits, so can't give specific help. But if you did a partial boil and topped off, it's very common to get some stratification in the fermenter - the gravity sample could be off.

A kit like that doesn't leave much room for error on OG. Four possible problems:

1. Added too much water. (Not likely)

2. Didn't add all of your extract. (Not likely)

3. Hydrometer is off for some reason like operator error or calibration problems (likely)

4. Stratification as stated above (likely)

Number 3 would mean your beer is fine an you just didn't get an accurate OG reading. Same with number 4.

FG is a fine number.

What temperature was beer when you took OG? Most hydrometers set for 60 degrees.

(Edited because I forgot stratification as explained by the above poster)

I took the OG at 77, didn't think to allow for the changes in temperature. the FG is take around 68 or so.

Oh well if it tastes anygood its still getting drank ;)

Your hydrometer instructions may have a chart for converting the gravity number according to different temperatures.

The stratification is also a very frequent phenomenon.

The hydrometer in the kit is a very poor plastic one, gonna be the first thing I replace.

I've never heard of Stratification before I'll need to read up on it thanks.

Coopers is a good light ale...I wouldn't worry too much. It will probably taste good. Just give it 3 weeks in the bottle. You can drink a few at two weeks.

Latest posts

Back