First Time brewing All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ves1000

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, This is my 4th batch and 1st all grain brew. I usually get my receipe from HomeBrewParty, a local San Antonio store but I found this clone online and I don't understand some of the words. Can someone please decypher this?

Direct heated to Sacch II rest, decoted about a gallon and heated to a boil over 20 min, transferred the rest of the mash from the pot to the cooler, by the time the decoction was added back the main mash had lost enough heat to keep the temp near 160.

2.5 gallons of first runnings. Batch sparged. Collected 6.25 gallons of 1.033 wort.
Here is the recipe;
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/live-oak-hefeweizen-clone

What temp and how long should I heat the grains?

Thanks!

It refers to a 2-stage saccharification, involving a single decoction. Saccharification is the process of converting the starch in the grain to sugar. Decoction is when you start your mash at a lower temperature and draw off a portion of it, then bring the drawn-off (decocted) portion to a boil and add it back to the main mash. This raises the temperature of the mash as well as inducing some maillard (browning) reactions in the decocted portion.

They should rewrite there instructions , most people that will need instructions will NOT know the terms due to being new. If you do know the terms then you probably are NOT using instructions LMAO

BrutalBrew has hit the nail on the head. Just slightly more descriptive recipes would make a world of difference to us newbs!

Saccharization rest would normally be from 148 f for highly ferment able and thin beer to 156 for more residual sweetness. With decoction, you draw off a thick mash (I use a strainer) with just enough liquid to keep it from scorching. You want low heat and stirring almost constantly. If you have a step temperature you are trying to meet, don't just dump the decoction back in all at once. Do it in stages, checking the temp after stirring between additions to make sure you do not overshoot your target temperature.

I found decoction to be an advanced skill. I was glad that I had a few all grain batches done before I tried it. My first few all grain batches, I was trying to get my target temperature right and trying to figure out how to hold that temperature.

You may find a debate out there about whether decoction adds flavor that is worth the trouble. When you try your first one, if you are like me, you will feel like you are juggling containers of hot wort.

I have not tried to make a hefe. You may try this the first time as a single infusion mash with a batch sparge. Others who do hefes can suggest a rest temperature and time.

Please not that I am not trying to insult your potential. I just suggest that when trying something new, you simplify the process and try to limit the things that can go wrong. Also decoction takes a long time. You not only have the boil time of the mash, you also have the time of bringing the thick mash to a boil at low heat. You also have another pot to clean.

I have to agree with Scott....This seems like a fairly complicated recipe for a first all grain batch. Is there another recipe you like with more straightforward directions?

You can start simple and add more involved procedures after you get a few all grains under your belt.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I already bought the ingredients. The ingredients didn't cost a lot, so I'll give it a try and see how it turns out. It probably won't taste like its suppose to, but it will be beer. Haha.

Just skip the decoction. Do a single infusion mash with batch sparge

Target Mash Temp: 150

Sparge Temp: 160

Your Hef will be fine without a Sach rest or decoction. Traditional recipes for classic german styles usually will call for a decoction mash simply because that's the way most German beer was brewed. Historically German brewers were using "under converted" malts and a decoction mash would raise efficiency and help to get every last bit of sugar out of the grist. Today's modern malting processes produce "highly converted" malts and a decoction isn't important from a technical aspect. There's a long debate about whether a decoction mash drastically changes the flavor of a beer. It certainly will have an effect. For your first batch just do a single infusion mash. Then take some time to research the malting process to understand why a decoction was used historically. It's some interesting stuff...

Decoction mashing is a pretty advanced technique - enough so that most "advanced" home brewers have never done it, or have done it once and decided it's not worth the trouble. Then again, there are brewers who swear it's the only way to get "authentic" flavor in your beer.

While decoction is a traditional mash for German hefes (it's a way to build a protein rest into your mash, but that's another advanced topic), you can make a great beer by using a simple single-stage infusion mash, which I think we'd all recommned for your first all-grain brew. Just mash at 148F for 60-90 minutes. It won't be a clone beer, but will be tasty nonetheless.

BTW, the instructions for your recipe look incomplete in any case since there's no initial/saccharification temperature or mash time.

...Just mash at 148F for 60-90 minutes.

148F is a little low. Hef should have medium-light body in accordance with BJCP guidelines. 148F will be light. Also, modern malts convert extremely fast. If you're doing a 90 minute mash you're wasting at least 30 minutes of your brew day. Modern malts will be completely converted in a 30-45 minute mash for the most part. I still use a 60 minute mash just for assurance. Check your runnings at 30 minutes next brew...

Hello Everyone, This is my 4th batch and 1st all grain brew. I usually get my receipe from HomeBrewParty, a local San Antonio store but I found this clone online and I don't understand some of the words. Can someone please decypher this?

Direct heated to Sacch II rest, decoted about a gallon and heated to a boil over 20 min, transferred the rest of the mash from the pot to the cooler, by the time the decoction was added back the main mash had lost enough heat to keep the temp near 160.

2.5 gallons of first runnings. Batch sparged. Collected 6.25 gallons of 1.033 wort.
Here is the recipe;
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/live-oak-hefeweizen-clone

What temp and how long should I heat the grains?

Thanks!

I ran this recipe through Brewsmith (I think you were the guy at Home Brew Party that I spoke to).

With a single infusion mash at 152 for an hour with a batch sparge it predicts about a 1.012 for the beer so it will be within range. At 148, it predicts about 1.010 which is also within style--though close to being too low.

Also, I have no idea why it has you doing a 115 minute boil--unless I'm reading it wrong.

I'd shoot for a mash of between 150 and 152, then boil for an hour.

One other thing, Brewsmith recommends using either a 2 liter starter or pitching two packs of yeast for this beer. One will work, but you'll get a much better flavor from pitching the larger volume of yeast.

If you've already brewed it then don't sweat it and simply ride it out to see how it works out.

Cluckk, it is the guy you met at homebrewparty, thanks again for the advice, everyone was very helpful. I didn't brew it yet, will probably do it tomorrow. Planning on going to branchline tonight for beer week festivities.

Back