Left star san in brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I left star San in my aluminum brew pot for a couple of weeks. I just noticed it when I went to brew in Saturday night. The star San left dime sort of slime that was pretty hard to get off and stripped the oxidized layer? Should I be concerned about this? I went and used the pot anyways on sat after I cleaned it.

I've done something similar. I just cleaned the slime off and reformed the oxidized layer by boiling water for 30 mins then dumping. You might get some metallic off flavors in this most recent batch without that layer.

Why sanitize a brew pot? It gets sanitized when you boil.

True, but it's also a conveniently large size for sanitizing bottles and other items, or sometimes just a good spot to hold onto starsan for a bit before your storage vessel is available again.

It was only about an inch deep, so not that much metal was exposed, so I hope the risk of exposing it the wort to metallic off flavors will be minimal.

I have found StarSan will leave a coating on plastic too.

In your case it is easy...

Take a Scotch (Green) pad and scrub it
Boil some hot water in it and when it cools do it again.

I don't know how long it takes to oxidize but I would think it is not to long and I bet some house hold produce could be used to excelerate the process but you may not have too...

ncbrewer said:
Why sanitize a brew pot? It gets sanitized when you boil.

True. I was boiling a light citric acid solution to remove beer stone from my aeration wand and some other implements that I use in the boil. Using my aluminum HLT was a poor choice of vessels.

Back