"Cheating" my way to high OG for barley wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I've read in various places that getting the proper OG for a barley wine is difficult because you have to use a large amount of mash and sparge water and then boil off some water to raise up the OG. I've also read that using extract is a useful way to "cheat" your way up to the required OG.

Right now, I am looking at a recipe which requires 17 lbs. of pale 2-row, 3 lbs. of Munich, and a little over 1 lb. of specialty grains. If I mash 9 lbs. of the pale malt and the 3 lbs. of Munich, steep the specialty grains, and then add 6 lbs. of pale extract to the resulting wort, would that be an adequate way to "cheat" my way into a proper barley wine OG?

It just seems that doing it this way would make the whole process easier and more manageable. Has anyone ever done this, and to what result?

Its not cheating, extract brewing is legitimate. I think that sounds like a good method - plug the numbers into BeerSmith or your favorite program and see if they work out.

Yeah, what Pappers said. It's quite acceptable to use extract to reach your numbers - that's the advantage of taking a hydro reading (or, even better, a refractometer reading) midway through the boil, so you can adjust by adding water or extract to hit your target.

I added both DME and corn sugar to my Old Ale last month (OG 1.080), it came out fabulously.

Or instead of boiling off a lot of liquid to achieve your desired gravity, just use a ton of grain and only collect the first runnings and don't even sparge.

it will be like a really big mini mash, not cheating

Take a look at "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. He lists the ingredients and there frequency of use for each style of all the NHC Second-Round recipes. For Barleywine recipes, more than 60% of the recipes included extract.

Still think it is cheating?

Eric

Take a look at "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. He lists the ingredients and there frequency of use for each style of all the NHC Second-Round recipes. For Barleywine recipes, more than 60% of the recipes included extract.

Still think it is cheating?

Eric

I stand corrected...and totally stoked. If award-winning barley wines are using extract, this has got to be a good method. :D

That's how I do my barley wines. Otherwise there's way too much sugar wasted in the mash and the boil-off takes too long.

Another option is to do a double mash (old technique). I did this for a 13% ABV beer. I divided the grains in half and mashed the first half as normal and then drained it off, did a small sparge, and then used all of the wort to mash in the second half of the grain. The mash obviously took longer, but I only had to do a regualr 90 min boil (Pils malts) to get my proper final volume.

I agree its not cheating, but why steep the specialties? Just mash them with the 2-row and munich. If you don't have enough room for them in your MLT, cut the 2 row back a pound and bump up the extract a tad.

That's how I do my barley wines. Otherwise there's way too much sugar wasted in the mash and the boil-off takes too long.

I usually use the "Bobby_M double batch sparge" method and the last big beer I did I used the second sparge runoff for a 2.5 gallon smaller beer. I upped the sparge volumes a bit to compensate, and ended up with 4.5 gallons of 1.100 and 2.5 gallons of 1.040 all said and done. I dont feel like I wasted anything :).

I recently did this with a RIS since I only had a 5 gallon MLT. I used all of the specialty grains, and as much base malt as I could fit. I made up the difference with DME.

Back