Chama Hop Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidMoxie

Reaction score
I picked up 3 oz apiece of Chama and Latir, new varieties of neomexicanus hops, from Holy Hops. I'll be brewing with Latir this weekend, but I finally finished my review of Chama which I used in a pale ale a few weeks ago.

"Weedy" is not a well-stocked aroma in my palate, but damn Chama is weedy. I would say it's 50% herbal, 30% fruity, and 20% citrus. I think this hop would be an excellent pairing for a dank, resinous, and piney hop like Simcoe or Columbus. Alternately, balance it out by pairing it with a fruity and citrusy hop like Citra. :mug:

Full review available at:
http://www.fivebladesbrewing.com/neomexicanus-hop-review-chama/

Interesting! I have driven past this place when I went to Chama, but never knew that they offered hops for sale to the public. Not sure whether the varieties are within my realm of tastes or preferences, but it is certainly worth checking out. Thanks for the review!

Here's everything that's available from Holy Hops at the moment:

Amalia: Citrusy, tangerine, slightly minty. Alpha: 4.5%. Beta: 6.0%.
Chama: Citrusy, herbal, fruity. Alpha: 7.3%. Beta: 8.2%.
Latir: Spicy, herbal, flowery. Alpha: 7.2%. Beta: 5.0%.
Mintras: Herbal, minty. Alpha: 4.1%. Beta: 6.2%.
Tierra: Minty, citrusy, very slightly grassy. Alpha: 5.7%. Beta: 6.2%.

If the 2014 harvest sells out, there is still a decent quantity of a handful of varieties from 2013.

Have you tried Wookie Jack before? Its a dark IPA that I found to be kinda herbal and dank, I wonder how it would turn out if someone took the clone recipe from here and used Mintras and Chama.

First, are those prices for real? They want nearly $20.00 for 3 ounces? Why!?

I would be bummed if I ordered those thinking citrus dominated. I really appreciate your review.

Have you tried Wookie Jack before? Its a dark IPA that I found to be kinda herbal and dank, I wonder how it would turn out if someone took the clone recipe from here and used Mintras and Chama.

I've had Wookie Jack before but I think it's a different kind of dank, more piney-dank. I'm beginning to think the "herbal" descriptor on these hops is more herbal, if you know what I mean. Not dank, per-se.

First, are those prices for real? They want nearly $20.00 for 3 ounces? Why!?

Don't forget the $5 for shipping! Yeah, $50 for 6 oz was kinda bananas, but I just couldn't help myself! I'm really interested in checking out these new hops.

Also, the citrus from the Chama isn't quite like other citrusy hops, there's a pithiness to it, like you're eating an orange slice that still had a bunch of the peel still attached.

Back