Wheat DME vs Light DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMortReport

Reaction score
I cant seem to find an answer in the search to this, so if I missed a thread please go easy on me, I made a mistake of not searching for a collar and I heard it haha

So I partial mash brew only due to space limitations, do the whole 50 pounds of light DME at a time. I have no experience with any other, but I understand the type of DME is more geared to extract brewing for color. My question is I've tried wheat/white beers, but never get the cloudiness I want. I understand part of this comes from all-grain, and maybe using only 1 lb of white wheat malt when I brew hurts, and I was going to try jacking that up. What Im curious on is, with steeping say 1 lb 2-row and 2 lb wheat malt, if I used wheat DME instead of the light would I gain more cloudiness of does it really not matter at all in partial? Thanks in advance

You would because the wheat is what will contribute to the cloudiness. Light DME is just light colored Dry Malt Extract (DME)

Randy Mosher, in Radical Brewing, suggests adding a tablespoon of flour to the boil right at the end for adding a permanent haze to witbiers. That would work. For wheat beers, you could try using a little less--they're less hazy in my experience, and some of that haze is from suspended yeast.

Latest posts

Back