CFC size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here is a question for those of you with bigger brains than me. I understand that having a larger outer tube for the outer coil increases the ability of the chiller to cool quickly, but is there a point of diminishing returns?

for example I know the morebeer CF chillers use 1/2 inch inner and 7/8 in outer coils. Now assume you could bend a 2 inch tube without kinking for the outer coil would that be better at cooling, what about 3 or 4 inch ones? I would assume that at some point the water would spend more time filling the empty space of the chiller rather than pushing through. I know that the flow rate affects the speed at which it cools, but the garden hose will fill the chiller at a constant rate so how does that factor into the grand scheme of things? We'll assume for the sake of this question that the tube is convoluted like the more beer chiller.

Back