CFC dimension questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to build a counterflow chiller out of some 1/2" copper and a garden hose. I believe the copper is 25' but it may be 20' (it is a pre-chiller I built awhile ago). I ordered a 5/8" id garden hose.

Will the 5/8" garden hose be large enough or should I try and find 3/4" garden hose?

If my copper is only 20', should I opt to use my wort chiller which is 50'? Will 50' be counterproductive at all?

I suggest a larger id hose. I just put a 3/8 od copper with 18awg copper wire twisted around it through 5/8 id hose and it was sticky in spots. It made for quite the time sliding it through. Even with lube.

After unpacking the old copper (we just moved) I noticed the 1/2" tube is closer to 15'. Gonna have to cut my immersion chiller in half and have 2 25' sections of 3/8" copper. I'll make the cfc out of that and maybe sell the other section at some point...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back