Hangover prevention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
A friend of mine turned me on to taking activated charcoal after a night of heavy drinking and I have to say, I think it really worked... Woke up this morning feeling great. Anyone else use them?

Placebo I would bet. However, why not? The best thing you can do is to drink as much water as you can tolerate before retiring for bed, and upon waking up. Some electrolytes wouldn't hurt either.

Rio Rancho here!

I live in a region where food poisoning is a monthly occurence and my hard partying friends and I have been taking activated charcoal for that, and also to prevent hangovers, for years.

It can be defeated though if you drink way beyond normal.

I also salt my meals to avoid dehydration and help retain some water the day of a planned boozefest. I am not 100% sure how much it helps, but I have noticed some commercially marketed hangover bottle shots are very salty as well.

Rage balls in comfort my friend.

I think the activated charcoal is supposed to absorb some of the liquor and prevent it all from hitting you at one time. I tried some charcoal pills a few years back and the only effect was me puking up charcoal into the sink.

The other option is to not drink so much that you get sick and hungover...

I haven't had a hangover in 25 years. To prevent it I do one simple, almost magical trick that few drinkers ever seem to think of. As soon as I feel myself getting buzzed I stop drinking for the rest of the night. I have just as much fun (actually far more), never have to puke, seldom lose friends (unless I want to lose them), never have to sleep anything off, and never spend the next day wishing I were dead, or wondering what I did.

A hangover is simply related to an interruption of the kreb's cycle caused by the alcohol to your cellular respiration. Generally, the result of dehydration. Adenosine bi-phosphate not being converted to Adenosine tri-phosphate and the like. The same thing happens when you die, so a hangover literally does make you feel like death.

Activated carbon will absorb alcohol, which is why it works as a hangover cure. But, it's a double edged sword in that if you take the activated carbon BEFORE you drink, you'll have to drink more booze to get drunk (which is BAD) and if you take it AFTER you're already drunk, the alcohol is already in your blood stream and it's only going to "mop up" whatever's left in your gut.

The best hangover cure that I know is drinking something hydrating with lots of electrolytes before you drink alcohol (gatoraid, G2, pedialyte) and then drink the same thing the next morning. If you wake up hung over, drink a ton of water or gatoraid and take a few aspirin.

If I know I'm going out with the guys for a night at the bar, I'll start Gatorade around noon, have one or two before the end of the day. Another one when I get home, with another bottle (or water) on the nightstand. And another bottle (or lots of water) when I wake up.

I'm a big fan of eggs the morning after. The cysteine in them helps break down some of the nastier byproducts left in your system. :mug:

-Rich

The thing that normally kills me with hangovers is the terrible stomach ache I get about half way through the day the next day. Didn't seem to be so bad after taking the charcoal the night before.

Soya milk before and after can help since it blocks alcohol adsorption
As for making you feel more human ice lollies sugar cold and wet.

If I intend to drink more than 3, I stagger drinks with water. First off, drinking a pint of water ever other round tends to slow you down a bit and of course, it helps a great deal with hydration.

Turns out if I drink a bit too much I become somewhat obnoxious. I try to avoid obnoxious people but when I become one it's almost impossible to get away from that *******.

I don't remember the last time I was hung over... (not making a joke, I really don't remember). When I drink heavily, I just naturally tend to slow down and stop drinking before I pass the point of no return.

Lets say, hypothetically, while making beer with my brother in law on Christmas Eve, a half dozen of his friends show up at random and drinking games ensue, and eventually all we have left is an especially strong batch of edwort's apfelwein to drink, and we all drink it as fast as they drink BMC at a **insert three Greek characters here** keg party; at some point during the night my consumption will slow, and eventually stop as my body tells me "Hey, dumb-ass, your liver cant keep up with your fist!" and I will wake up fine the next morning, and eat a big breakfast, while my brother in law and his friends wake up with their faces in trash cans and spend the day hung over; you know, hypothetically speaking anyways...

lots of water or Gatorade/Powerade/othersportsdrink some aspirin

Drink homebrew,and dont drink so dern much maybe. Hard to say.. that,when I did it when I was younger,but yeah,B vitamins,plenty of water,and especially and probably most important is to drink water inbetween drinks especially if your already "there". Add a little reality if your getting "wasted" and keep in mind to drink some water between drinks. If your getting wasted,well then its your own fault,yes you may end up feeling terrible sometimes.

Hangovers for me are all mental. I don't get the headaches or nausea. I just feel exhausted and full of a crippling anxiety, as if I cannot face the world. Honestly I'd rather take the nausea and headaches.

Anyway, after the headache and nausea which have easy remedies: alka seltzer, water, bananas, eggs, Gatorade, bacon, etc. the biggest and most profound symptom is tiredness and withdrawal stress/anxiety. To that there are only limited choices. You can sleep which is often not an option. You can have a couple more beers to reduce your withdrawal stress. Sort of stepping it down instead of cutting yourself off all at once. Or you can take benzos which you need to get from a doctor. That last one is truly a cure-all for the mental hangovers and I highly recommend it.

Actually, the best hangover prevention is to never stop drinking. If you don't stop, then you won't ever get hungover.

I joined the Shriners a time back and I quickly found out some of those old men have a LIFETIME of practice partying. I could not keep up. On a whim I bought what was then a new product: 5 Hr Energy. I take one before I go out, and one while I am out if it's a marathon night. Generally I feel much better with than without, and a little water and some extra sleep and I'm fine.

I assume it's the B-vitamin bolus I am receiving. Whatever it is, it works for me.

This is NOT to be confused with the night where I was drinking vodka/Red Bull. I slept from Tuesday night to Thursday morning, missing a whole day of a convention I was attending. That was a little scary.

I have been suffering from delayed hangovers recently. I wake up feeling fine, but by 10 or 11 am, I am near death. The odd thing is that I stop drinking somewhat early, like 11 or midnight.

Hangovers for me are all mental. I don't get the headaches or nausea. I just feel exhausted and full of a crippling anxiety, as if I cannot face the world. Honestly I'd rather take the nausea and headaches.

Anyway, after the headache and nausea which have easy remedies: alka seltzer, water, bananas, eggs, Gatorade, bacon, etc. the biggest and most profound symptom is tiredness and withdrawal stress/anxiety. To that there are only limited choices. You can sleep which is often not an option. You can have a couple more beers to reduce your withdrawal stress. Sort of stepping it down instead of cutting yourself off all at once. Or you can take benzos which you need to get from a doctor. That last one is truly a cure-all for the mental hangovers and I highly recommend it.

It's weird that you mentioned the anxiety. I've noticed the same thing. I feel very anxious and agitated after a big night out. I thought it was just me.

Unfortunatley I also get some stomach issues. I usually wake up feeling good, but as the day progresses I feel worse and worse. Food and water help.

Alcohol and dehydration mess with your brain. Anyway, the best hangover prevention for me is to simply stay up until I'm no longer drunk. Water and aspirin and all that, but if I got to bed tipsy, I'll have a hangover no matter what.

Latest posts

Back