New here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excalibur1976

Reaction score
Hi all i'm new here and loving reading through the mountain of info on here.So my first question is i have made a coopers Australian pale ale using brew enhancer 2 and the og was 1.038! the thing is it was brewing for 4 days and stopped at 1.010 so i thought thats a bit week and just added 200grams of dextrose sugar it foamed up then died down its still at 24c will this work and start fermenting again or will i have screwed it up? also if it does work do i still add half a spoon of sugar to the bottle to prime?Thanks for all your help feel like i have wrecked it.

When you added the sugar, the foaming was the yeast fermenting that out, so you got an abv boost from that. I don't have the calculator handy, but google around and toy can figure it out. If it's only been in the fermentor about a week, leave it for another 7 days. After that, confirm that fermentation is complete with a few days of consecutive (and stable) hydrometer readings.

When it comes time to bottle, weigh your priming sugar and batch prime. Adding sugar bottle to bottle is a PITA and results in uneven (and sometimes dangerous) carbonation. After that, 3 weeks at 70 degrees before you put one in the fridge for 24 hours. Test and give beer longer, if necessary.
:tank:

When you added the sugar, the foaming was the yeast fermenting that out, so you got an abv boost from that. I don't have the calculator handy, but google around and toy can figure it out. If it's only been in the fermentor about a week, leave it for another 7 days. After that, confirm that fermentation is complete with a few days of consecutive (and stable) hydrometer readings.

When it comes time to bottle, weigh your priming sugar and batch prime. Adding sugar bottle to bottle is a PITA and results in uneven (and sometimes dangerous) carbonation. After that, 3 weeks at 70 degrees before you put one in the fridge for 24 hours. Test and give beer longer, if necessary.

Hi thanks for that! so you think it should be o.k then.

Hi thanks for that! so you think it should be o.k then.

Excalibur got it right. He/she forgot to say that the preferred way of priming is to mix the sugar (which should be calculated and measured by weight) and about 2 cups of water. Boil the sugar/water for a few min. Add this solution to a bottling bucket and rack (transfer) your beer into the bottling bucket on top of the sugar solution. No need to cool the sugar solution before adding the beer. The sugar will mix with the beer and evenly distribute the sugar into your beer.

Then bottle from the bucket, cap them, and let them sit for at least 3 weeks at 70*F before you should expect full, even carbonation.

Adding sugar directly to each bottle is imprecise and can lead to over carbing and the possibility of uneven carb between bottles, or worse yet, exploding bottles.

Judging from the Cooper's batches I've done,that OG should've been a little higher,like 1.043 or so. Maybe you didn't get thet chilled wort & top off water mixed well? That would give a lower OG. But 1.010 is a good average Fg,so no need for more sugar. And 24C (75.2F) is a litle high for a ferment temp. 18-20C is a better range. So let it sit till it cleans up & settles out clear or slightly misty before priming & bottling. That'll give it time to clean up any off flavors from higher ferment temps.

Sure, you'll be able to drink it and it won't make you sick. Will it be the best beer you've ever had? Probably not, but you'll learn from it and your next beer will be better. 24c is probably a little hot for fermentation, so you might pick up some off flavors. If you do, don't feel bad. My first beer was a Belgian Tripel kit. Had no idea what I was doing. Fermented it hot with no yeast starter. It came out like a alcoholic Jolly Rancher. Still, I learned a lot from that first beer.

In the end, it'll probably be fine (and better than my first attempt). Just give it time to do its thing and keep reading here. So much great knowledge in the folks who post.

prpromin said:
My first beer was a Belgian Tripel kit. Had no idea what I was doing. Fermented it hot with no yeast starter. It came out like a alcoholic Jolly Rancher.

Mmm...alcoholic banana jolly rancher...

I didn't know there were banana jolly ranchers?!?

Latest posts

Back