35k vs 100k burner problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZ2U

Reaction score
I bought one of these cheap from someone bailing out of brewing.

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-banjo-burner-and-stand-100000-btus/p/64482/

Previously I had a much taller 35K burner.

I have a new problem. I put it on my deck and fired it up under 7 gallons to see how fast it boils. about 10 minutes into it I start to smell pine and at about 12 minutes I was at 150 and noticed why I smelled pine so I shut it off. It was puilling sap out of my deck, my 7 year old deck.

Obviously I need some insulation material between the burner and deck. Cinderblock caps? Think those will take the heat and protect the deck?

Second problem is the flame comes up around my kettle at full power. Minor issue that I can address with some sheet metal but interested how anyone else may have addressed it ?

I have a bullet smoker that would melt my Trex deck if not for the 20" square paver I set it on. I'm sure the same thing would work for your burner. Come to think of it, I used to set that same paver on top of a Workmate and then set my HLT burner on top of that...

Cheers!

Sheet metal should also help with the deck problem: I constructed a heat shield out of some flashing and mounted it below the burner.

Back