New to mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
So I've been making beer for almost a year now and my wife wants me to make some mead. Is there anything I wouldn't already have that I would need (besides ingredients) to make this happen?

If you make JAOM, you likely have everything you need in your cupboards already.

I use nutrients, although my latest batch just has boiled bread yeast and raisins and its doing great.

Oh and maybe I've just had great luck with this, but I rehydrate my yeast in water(most of the time) for 10 min and dump it in . No starters, not on high acidity musts, nor high gravity, and they all start. I'm using lalvin yeasts, maybe that has something to do with it? I've never used more than one pack.

You'll probably need a good deal of patience, too... Unlike beer, mead requires a considerate amount of aging.
Drink it as soon as it's clear and you'll have something fine, drink it after a few months and you will be proud of your yeasties...

Back