2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my scores from Kansas City sometime between Thursday and Saturday, as they were there when I arrived home from vacation last night. I submitted seven beers and had scores ranging from 23 to 41.

This was the first competition where the scores turned out basically in line with what I thought. The 23 being a saison that has some astringency to the finish and I can't figure out why, with a 26 to a witbier that I knew was too sour for the style (similar to Jolly Pumpkin's Calabaza Blanca) but already had a 16E so couldn't put it there, and 29 for a blended whiskey barrel/regular imperial stout with vanilla, which I figured would have too much vanilla for 22C and should have gone to herb/spice.

Other than that, had a Berliner at 31, gueuze at 32, Belgian Specialty (blonde saison with red wine oak cubes and lambic dregs) at 35, and a raspberry-lime berliner (fruit beer) at 41.

Got my results back from KC. This is the first comp I've entered, and I think I did alright.

5A Helles Bock 26
12A Brown Porter 39
13A Dry Stout 26.5
25A Cyser 35

It said my Brown Porter advanced to the Mini BOS. With that being the case, do you think this will move on to the next round. Trying to figure out if I should rebrew it. I have some of the 2nd keg left, but not sure it is in peak form.

Question on the bock, notes said too much DMS flavor. I had a brewer friend of mine taste the beer yesterday and he said he didn't get any. When I bottled this beer, it was fairly young and hadn't lagered out all the way yet. This is the first lagered beer i've brewed, and my question is will a lager hold dms flavor until it lagers out, or if it is present it'll just be there.

Got my results back from KC. This is the first comp I've entered, and I think I did alright.

5A Helles Bock 26
12A Brown Porter 39
13A Dry Stout 26.5
25A Cyser 35

It said my Brown Porter advanced to the Mini BOS. With that being the case, do you think this will move on to the next round. Trying to figure out if I should rebrew it. I have some of the 2nd keg left, but not sure it is in peak form.

A 39 is a really good score! It might be good enough to advance.

5A Helles Bock 26
12A Brown Porter 39
13A Dry Stout 26.5
25A Cyser 35

Question on the bock, notes said too much DMS flavor. I had a brewer friend of mine taste the beer yesterday and he said he didn't get any. When I bottled this beer, it was fairly young and hadn't lagered out all the way yet. This is the first lagered beer i've brewed, and my question is will a lager hold dms flavor until it lagers out, or if it is present it'll just be there.

None of mine had Mini BOS marked. I'm hoping that with the 41 in Fruit Beer, that means that there wasn't a Mini BOS for that category and I'll hopefully advance.

Congrats on the porter score!

None of mine had Mini BOS marked. I'm hoping that with the 41 in Fruit Beer, that means that there wasn't a Mini BOS for that category and I'll hopefully advance.

Congrats on the porter score!

Thanks. Same to you on the lime berliner. Sounds really interesting.

. I'm hoping that with the 41 in Fruit Beer,

with the high scores i am seeing on some, it is proof homebrewers can make some awesome beer. others eh.... these scores are a way to get better with the right comments.

grats man on the 41

personally call it a silver medal, for you own records then. :)

I'm calling it a bronze, since this last weekend I took third place in American Ales at the Colonial Cup sponsored by the Lowcountry Libations homebrew club with the same batch. I was floored! I had no expectations that it would even place.

But then, I was only up against 16 other beers. I'm sure the competition will be far more fierce at the Atlanta NHC round. Not sure of my score right now, as I don't have my sheets back yet.

I'm calling it a bronze, since this last weekend I took third place in American Ales at the Colonial Cup sponsored by the Lowcountry Libations homebrew club with the same batch. I was floored! I had no expectations that it would even place.

But then, I was only up against 16 other beers. I'm sure the competition will be far more fierce at the Atlanta NHC round. Not sure of my score right now, as I don't have my sheets back yet.

Nicely done! I had a few place at Colonial Cup too - so now I've got my hopes up for Atlanta NHC first round.

Received my results from KC today, 41 for my ordinary bitter mini best of show checked but no place marked. Hoping they didn't mark places for that region haha

It said my Brown Porter advanced to the Mini BOS. With that being the case, do you think this will move on to the next round?

Mini BOS merely means it made it to the top six of the flight judged in a split panel. It doesn't mean your beer medaled unfortunately. If your beer was in a mini BOS with 5 other beers, only 3 of those will medal and the lower 50% will not medal (beers 4-6). Mini BOS is sort of a misnomer as it has nothing to do with advancing to the real BOS round in any given competition, unless it is number 1 of said 6 beers. The good news is you have a 50 % chance of at least medaling if you get into a mini BOS situation. The bad news is you have a 50% chance of not medaling as well.

Mini BOS can have far more than 6 beers in it. IIRC American Ales had over a dozen and stouts had like 25 beers for mini BOS in the St. Paul region.

I know but I was just using 6 as an example. I should have been more clear. My bad. Mini BOS is merely a method of combining results of a split panel in a class where there are many beers to be judged.

People tend to get excited when they hear the term mini BOS, and in some ways they should as their beer was judged high enough relative to the other beers in the flight to be towards the top of that group. But it doesn't mean it will advance just because it was in said mini BOS. You have just as much chance of not advancing as advancing.

Yes. Mini BOS is a tool judges use to whittle down the top beers in a given flight. It is used in split panels when judges have too many beers to judge by themselves. For example if you have a flight with 20 beers, one team of two judges will judge 10, another team of two judges will judge the other 10 and then they will combine their top entries (usually 6 in an example like this, both teams top 3) and they will judge the top 6 in a mini BOS format. The mini BOS is subjective and is not judged with a scoresheet typically. The top 3 agreed upon will get the gold, silver and bronze. The remaining bottom 3 get nothing.

That's a typical mini BOS. People get excited about seeing their beer went into a mini BOS (as they should, it means their beer was a top beer in the flight) but it doesn't necessarily mean they will medal.

Yes. Mini BOS is a tool judges use to whittle down the top beers in a given flight. It is used in split panels when judges have too many beers to judge by themselves. For example if you have a flight with 20 beers, one team of two judges will judge 10, another team of two judges will judge the other 10 and then they will combine their top entries (usually 6 in an example like this, both teams top 3) and they will judge the top 6 in a mini BOS format. The mini BOS is subjective and is not judged with a scoresheet typically. The top 3 agreed upon will get the gold, silver and bronze. The remaining bottom 3 get nothing.

That's a typical mini BOS. People get excited about seeing their beer went into a mini BOS (as they should, it means their beer was a top beer in the flight) but it doesn't necessarily mean they will medal.

Ahh ok. Thanks for explaining that. I've been in several competitions and have metaled several times, just never really understood how it worked.

Are all of there beers from a flight from the same category?

No, but they are similar.

For example, if you have a smaller competition (or even in a bigger one), you may only have 3 light lager entries. So, other beers that are similar are organized in the same flight- say, light hybrids, or premium lagers. You won't have a stout and a light lager in the same flight, but you may have different categories in a flight.

I entered a Rye IPA, Rye Pale, American Stout and an Imperial Red. I sent them to the New York location with nothing in the mail yet.

got my scoresheet from KC yesterday. i entered 7 beers. i knew that 3 of them wouldn't score well and expectations were met - 24 & under. feedback was mixed in terms of usefulness. the next two did decently, a 30 and a 34.5. i held high hopes for the final two and they didn't disappoint: a 40 in 16E (belgian specialty) and a 45 in 6C (kolsch)!!! both advanced to their mini-BOS. one judge wrote "best kolsch of the night", so my fingers are crossed :mug:

after reading my results i had trouble getting to sleep last night, i was dancing around the living room :ban:

sweetcell said:
got my scoresheet from KC yesterday. i entered 7 beers. i knew that 3 of them wouldn't score well and expectations were met - 24 & under. feedback was mixed in terms of usefulness. the next two did decently, a 30 and a 34.5. i held high hopes for the final two and they didn't disappoint: a 40 in 16E (belgian specialty) and a 45 in 6C (kolsch)!!! both advanced to their mini-BOS. one judge wrote "best kolsch of the night", so my fingers are crossed :mug:

after reading my results i had trouble getting to sleep last night, i was dancing around the living room :ban:

Wow, a 45! Bet that's in the the next round for sure.

Very nice on the Kolsch and Belgian. Well done.

Veryyyy nice on the 45

Anyone in the NYC region get their scores yet?
Not yet, we judged last weekend. It wasn't the best run comp I've been too/judged. I'd be surprised if they get mailed out before the end of the month.
I read that they were refusing shipments because they couldn't manage them. I'm guessing they all got there eventually, but spent extra time in the UPS truck and facility bouncing back and forth. Made me wish I had sent my entries somewhere else. I’m sure the judging itself was up to BJCP standards, but it’s too bad they lack the competence to organize the event. What is it with New York? Didn’t they have all kinds of problems in Syracuse two years ago?

Word on the street is that the judges at the KC location were instructed to mark 1st 2nd and 3rd on the cover sheets. Can anyone confirm this?

Word on the street is that the judges at the KC location were instructed to mark 1st 2nd and 3rd on the cover sheets. Can anyone confirm this?

I was told that this is what they were instructed, though I know from firsthand experience that not all sheets were marked as such.

according to Lodovico that is indeed the case. see this post and the few following it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/score-sheets-nhc-kansas-city-404835/index3.html#post5115161

i'm still hoping that not all sheets were completed, but i have nothing to back my position other than hope...

Looking back at previous years, there is definitely a history of inconsistency, which to some degree is to be expected with everything going on. However, it sounds like the KC judging center did a good job of staying organized as well.

So I know it's more than likely I won't be advancing to final round, which is fine since the scoresheets have great value to me. But since my best scoring entry was already a bit past it's prime when entering, a rebrew of the recipe would be needed *if* it did make it.

So, just in case, I did some probability simulations and came up with what I think is a good flowchart to decide if I should start rebrewing that recipe on Friday (I kept the steps generic because it turns out this methodology works for a wide range of situations):

G2MOmay.png

:D

Got my results back from St. Paul yesterday. Pulled a 44 for my black IPA. The mini-BOS boxed was checked but the place box was empty.

Got my results back from St. Paul yesterday. Pulled a 44 for my black IPA. The mini-BOS boxed was checked but the place box was empty.

Mmm i never even saw a box for MINI-BOS on any of the paper work i got back.

Got my St. Paul scoresheets back:

APA - 30 - 1st place
Cat 23 Specialty / Scottish 90 Schilling - 43.5 - 2nd place
Mild - 39.5 - mini BOS, but did not place
Special Bitter - 27.5 - did not place - I tried to swap this for another beer because the batch just didn't turn out right, but it was too late to edit entries when this one was ready.

Still can't believe my APA got 1st and advanced with a 30, but then again I am really unimpressed with the scoresheets I got back. The judges that judged my flight did not judge mini BOS - thankfully. I've entered similar versions of this recipe in numerous competitions (averaged a score of 36 accross 6 entries) and it's done quite well so I'll just leave it at that.

damn it!! ya'll just bursted my bubble! lol was hoping that they didn't mark anyone's placement on the score sheets. if they did means i didn't place with my 40 american brown!! oh well still stoked on my scores!!especially since i entered the same two beers in a local comp. hopefully they'll score as good there!!

damn it!! ya'll just bursted my bubble! lol was hoping that they didn't mark anyone's placement on the score sheets. if they did means i didn't place with my 40 american brown!! oh well still stoked on my scores!!especially since i entered the same two beers in a local comp. hopefully they'll score as good there!!

I can confirm that at least one score sheet coming out of Kansas City did not have the place marked and the beer did indeed place. So there is still hope for people with high scores that do not have placement numbers. Along with that, my score sheet also does not have Mini BOS marked, though I'm not sure if there was a mini BOS for that category (20) in KC.

Back