IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandstoneCityBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet to brew an IPA, and I'm looking for some help with a recipe. Most recipes that I've looked up are using pale malt, pilsner malt, victory or munich malt, and even torrified wheat. Im not sure what the best percentages are. I will list my current inventory of hops and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Obviously I would like to use up some of the hops I have sitting around, but Im fairly close to a LHBS if I need to grab some other hops.

5oz Falconers Flight 7cs AA - 9.9%
3oz Falconers Flight AA - 10.8 %
2oz Zythos AA - 10.9%
1oz Cascade AA - 8.9%
1oz Hallertau AA - 3.9%
1oz Perle AA - 9.4%

I also currently have the following grain :

10+lbs 2 Row
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Carapils
.75lb Crystal 60

you will need some more 2 row or a lb corn sugar to get your og up to where it needs to be. the zythos and cascade would make a nice flavoring combination, so all you would need is a high aa hop to get you ibus up there something like warrior, magnum, ctz or horizon

At a glance, it looks to me, it looks like you've got everything you need for an IPA right there. I haven't plugged anything in brew smith for you but I will this evenin if I get some time. The hallertau and Perle both have a great noble character that many ipa's are lacking, cascades got that fruity-citrusyness you expect in the nose of American IPA. Do a littlel calculation (or wait for me to do it this evening :)) and figure how how many IBUs you could eat from your falconera flight. That's a great hop I have limite experience with, but I think you might get something really nice of you hit bitter with that.

Also, what yeast are you using?

nighthawk311 said:
I have yet to brew an IPA, and I'm looking for some help with a recipe. Most recipes that I've looked up are using pale malt, pilsner malt, victory or munich malt, and even torrified wheat. Im not sure what the best percentages are. I will list my current inventory of hops and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Obviously I would like to use up some of the hops I have sitting around, but Im fairly close to a LHBS if I need to grab some other hops.

5oz Falconers Flight 7cs AA - 9.9%
3oz Falconers Flight AA - 10.8 %
2oz Zythos AA - 10.9%
1oz Cascade AA - 8.9%
1oz Hallertau AA - 3.9%
1oz Perle AA - 9.4%

I also currently have the following grain :

10+lbs 2 Row
1lb Munich Malt
1lb Carapils
.75lb Crystal 60

If your efficiency is above 70% you should be fine with the grain you have. I would put it all in except 1/2 pound of carapils.

Hop schedule:
Cascade 1 oz @60
Zythos 1 oz @15
Zythos 1 oz @5
Falconers Flight 1 oz @ flameout

Should get you an OG around 1.062 or better with 55 or so IBU's.

Good luck.

Oh, and I put that into Beersmith to be sure. You can obviously play around with the hops. Maybe do one of the German hops at 60 instead. I like Zythos in an IPA. I have used it a few times.

At a glance, it looks to me, it looks like you've got everything you need for an IPA right there. I haven't plugged anything in brew smith for you but I will this evenin if I get some time. The hallertau and Perle both have a great noble character that many ipa's are lacking, cascades got that fruity-citrusyness you expect in the nose of American IPA. Do a littlel calculation (or wait for me to do it this evening :)) and figure how how many IBUs you could eat from your falconera flight. That's a great hop I have limite experience with, but I think you might get something really nice of you hit bitter with that.

Also, what yeast are you using?

Falconers and the Zythos are not in beersmith for me.

As far as yeast goes, I have wyeast 1056, but I'm not opposed to getting something different in there.

I guess my biggest issue is calculating IBU's. I don't know what a good IBU would be for that recipe. According to beersmith with all my grains and 70% efficiency I'm at 1.062

id pick up a pound of dex to throw in it but besides that youve got all the ingredients for some good IPA, just use the base and the 60L and you will be fine as long as you have the dextrose to bump it up a bit.... Id mash low and long as i do all my upas, im talking 146-148 for 90 min, use the ff as a fwh addition and a 25 min addition, than break down the cascades into a 10,5 and 0 min addition, throw that puppy on the yeast and let it sit for like a month, pick up another oz of casc for the dh and throw another ounce of ff in as well about a week or whenever you get around to dealing with it and enjoy brosif.....also be creative in what you do with the pound of dextrose, think about how to make the best use of it...

You can find a few IBU calculators with a google search that should have them. Another way o do it is just put any old hop in beer smith and edit the AA% to be the same as whatever hop you want to add (just to get beersmith to do the calculation for you)

I've found that # of IBUs should be used more as a rough estimate of what the beer might taste like, rather than a hard fast rule. 2 beers can have the same # of IBUs and have very different perceived bitterness. I would personally save my cascade for a late boil addition or dry hop, and would do a First Wort Hop addition of one of the German hops (this is an old old old German technique that has just relatively recently been discovered by home brewers). Bitter with whatever you like, but do a little research on the flavor profiles of whatever you choose. (Pacific Jade is my favorite for pale ales :))

1056 has a classic and clean america. profile that attenuated well. It will suit your purposes very nicely if you want something hop-foreword and dry. Another great alternative is to use "American Ale II" (1056 is American Ale I), its also called "California V" from white labs. It's the same yeast that is used in Anchor Liberty Ale, and has a great fruity aroma and creamy mouthfeel. I've had a lot of success with this yeast and I have a big house culture in my fridge :)

P.s. I would highly suggest using all the malt you have right now. It just happens to be a great malt bill :) ....you could get away with only using half your carapils, since most people use 0.5 lbs per 5 gallon batch. That way you have some for your next batch as well.

Back