I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to completely ignore both the instructions that came with my beer kit, and the plans I had made... Yeah, I might as well have thrown the directions away. Nothing I did actually matches them. :)

I steeped 1lb of torrified wheat and 1/2lb of fawcett oat malt in a chinois until the water with the malt extract in it came to a boil. 6lb of 65% wheat and 35% barley LME. I ran hot water through the grain to fill the pot too. Then took out the grain and poured a gallon or so of hot water through the grain until the liquid ran clear. Shortened the boil to 1/2 an hour. Replaced the 1 oz of German Hallertau hop pellets with 1/2 oz of US Fuggle. 1/3 oz at 30 minutes and the remaining 1/6 oz at 5 minutes. I added the 1lb of dry wheat malt extract at 5 minutes as well. I also pitched a 11.5g of safbrew wb-06 dry yeast instead of the 11g of Munich wheat beer dry yeast that came with the kit. The batch volume was also adjusted to fit my available fermentor, so it's 4.5 gallons instead of 5 gallons.

I was a little leery of using only 11.5 grams of dry yeast in the batch, but Mrmalty said I only needed 10 grams. OG is 1.060. So if it finishes at 1.010 like I understand would be fairly typical, I should end up with 6.7% ABV. Time will tell though.

Happy brew day dance. :ban:

You MI-5 or MI-6? Bah-ha-ha

Your brewing sounds good and you will bring to the table great beer.! :ban:

The colby does not taste like colby. It tastes like awesome. :D Very very sharp cheddar flavor, very crumbly and wet. The texture is probably my fault, I didn't let it dry properly before waxing.

DSC_0010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbi you would like this..

La Socarrada by La Soccarada Cervesa Artesanal De Xativa from Spain.

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It's brewed with rosemary and rosemary honey.

There's notes of honey and subtle citrus. The rosemary taste is very obvious, but it's not offensive. It's slightly dry and not at all sweet. The aroma is extremely pleasant in a very indescribable way.

It's kind of like drinking a good quality lager while eating rosemary chicken, but in a good way!

Cheers and Happy Cinco de Mayo Amigos!

Ohh. I would love that. Happy Cinco de Mayo! Almost over now and I forgot about it.

Love the way you went all rogue with the kit, LG!!

Hey Dan. :)

Ok, that happened really fast. Apparently my ice cream recipe is slightly to large for this machine. I ended up with some down the sides when the overrun started getting worked in. Still tasty though. This is going to be a fun new toy.

Ok, that happened really fast. Apparently my ice cream recipe is slightly to large for this machine. I ended up with some down the sides when the overrun started getting worked in. Still tasty though. This is going to be a fun new toy.

Did you lick the outside of the machine? OK, that was gross, but it was the first thing that popped into my head as you were talking about the overflow.

Did you lick the outside of the machine? OK, that was gross, but it was the first thing that popped into my head as you were talking about the overflow.
No, but I will admit I considered it. :p I did lick the paddle once I got most of the ice cream off of it.

Licking the sides of the machine is the first thing I thought of too. :p

One year for Cinco de Mayo, some friends and I thought it would be a good idea to do 5 shots of tequila. Since there were 5 of us we decided to each take turns buying the shots. It was me, Paul the Painter, Porkchop, Wheelchair Mike and Scrubby. I wonder why they all have cool nicknames and I don't. Anyway after 5 shots, our judgement was impaired and we decided it would be a good idea to each buy 5 more shots. So after 10 shots of tequila or so, plus drinking beer with it, we were a little done in. So my friends called hubby and said you need to come get her. Hubby showed up, kind of pissed off, said I wasn't the only one who needed a ride home, so all 5 of us piled into hubby's car and he gave everyone a ride home. The next day it was every man for themselves trying to get our vehicles back from the bar. Somehow we all ended up back there around the same time, all our spouses completely pissed at us and we got drunk again.

Bottled some mead this evening. I still have buzz after drinking the extras that wouldn't fill the next bottle.

Trevor Triple Berry and Jalapeno Mead

img_20130505_215258_403-59722.jpg
[/IMG]

Trevor Triple Berry Mead - Very Clear

img_20130505_215323_822-59723.jpg
[/IMG]

Jalapeno Mead - Crazy Good. Everyone asked why I did make 5 Gal or more of it.

img_20130505_215538_058-59724.jpg

Figured I might as well contribute some stuff too.

I actually don't care for too much of the stuff by the Dead, but this song was uniquely (I think?) not written by Garcia, but rather by a bandmate for his father who was dying of cancer.

I felt in the mood for it anyway, so enjoy...

BTW, I just turned 27 less than an hour ago. Getting old does suck! ;)

If it makes you feel better, I'll always be older then you. :p

Goodnight HBT nightingales.

Stupid sleeping pills don't work. See, I am still awake, I wonder how my doctor would feel about me mixing both pills with a beer or 2. Just opened a beer, screw this not sleeping. I'll probably be passed out here soon and hopefully will wake up in the morning. Hoping for a real job but I have a back-up plan if it doesn't pull through.

My customers send me handmade cards and thank you letters in the mail. Who else gets that? I think I'm pretty damn lucky. And they ask when my next CD will be released. Well, I am a little distracted to concentrate on designing, but I think I will try and get my act together and get another CD produced in the next month and a half if the real job thing doesn't work out. Only thing, producing a new CD takes time and money. I would have to count on a quick ROI. Which, with my customer database should not be too difficult. Over 5000 people on my mailing list. Happy customers who like me. Either a 2013 Christmas collection or maybe something else. Release it in July. None of my CDs have ever failed so no reason why the next one would. Unless I can't think of any ideas. Probably better also invest in a big bag of ... um... green smokable creativity.... Gotta spend money to make money, isn't that what they say?

What drug and dosage are your sleeping pills? Some are useless, most can be (realistically, though no doctor would advise it) had with a beer or two, but some not.

What drug and dosage are your sleeping pills? Some are useless, most can be (realistically, though no doctor would advise it) had with a beer or two, but some not.

I'd kind of rather not say. Both say do not drink alcohol with them or they could increase the effects. Oh really? That is what I aiming for. Beer is not going down too good tonight, maybe all the drugs I took. I don't like being on all this medication. People say, oh, just listen to the doctor. Well, I think the doctors want to turn me into something I am not. I'll keep taking their damn drugs until I figure something else out. No idea how we are going to get property taxes paid and that's a pretty big deal. Get an extension, go to the big family reunion in August and beg. That's plan C. I might even have a plan D. It pisses me off that hubby is sick, really threw a wrench in our plans.

I'd kind of rather not say. Both say do not drink alcohol with them or they could increase the effects. Oh really? That is what I aiming for. Beer is not going down too good tonight, maybe all the drugs I took. I don't like being on all this medication. People say, oh, just listen to the doctor. Well, I think the doctors want to turn me into something I am not. I'll keep taking their damn drugs until I figure something else out. No idea how we are going to get property taxes paid and that's a pretty big deal. Get an extension, go to the big family reunion in August and beg. That's plan C. I might even have a plan D. It pisses me off that hubby is sick, really threw a wrench in our plans.

Well, that's up to you though I AM legitimately able to help you out with this bit, without having to have the same concerns of "appropriate" as your doctor would, but if you change your mind just let me know. :)

Well, that's up to you though I AM legitimately able to help you out with this bit, without having to have the same concerns of "appropriate" as your doctor would, but if you change your mind just let me know. :)

I sent you a private message. :eek: As in, private, thank you.

Speaking of ice cream I enjoy taking my ice cream maker up camping and on the last day making a batch of ice cream. It uses up the rest of the ice and makes the kids happy :D

Yes my idea of camping is not really "roughing" it any more. I enjoy getting way out as far as I can but using a camper once I am there.

Last time I went camping it was in the desert with a couple thousand of my closest friends.

Im not sure if it was roughing it or not.

Well it sure seems as if the ground is much harder than when I was a kid so I like having a bed to sleep in. And the stove and fridge are pretty sweet as well :p

I hear ya. When I was reenacting we'd very authentically just throw our rubber blanket on the ground and cover ourselves with the wool blanket. I woke up a couple hundred times with a rock or a tree root jabbed into my side.

Now... not so much. Of course I blame the wussification on my wife, but truth is Im not thrilled to sleep on the ground either. Now we roll with a gigantic tent with 2 rooms, a big air mattress and a rolling cooler not to mention a suitcase full of clothes. At Burning Man we also had a solar shower, costumes, a butane stove and pretty much a full bar, which was awesome. Nothing quite like "Jaegarmeister laybacks" at breakfast.

Let emjay help you... The doctors used him like a Guinea pig for drug testing.

Ha. Not even close. No doubt I have personal experience with some things, but my gp and psych acknowledge that I have a way more in-depth understanding of how these things work and as such give me fairly free reign to choose for myself.

In other words, I've been edumacated before ever even being given something.

Last time I went camping was many years ago. The first day a park ranger stopped by and said if we heard dogs at night it was just the rangers chasing down bears.. Okay. The first afternoon we were down by a stream fishing and saw an old guy who said just the day before he saw a bobcat right where my family, wife, me three daughters and son were standing. Hmmm. The first night didn''t hear any dogs barking but the coyotes made plenty of noise. My wife freaked out. Next day a raccon got into some food and ripped open a bag of charcol. My wife decided it had to have been a bear, sends my son runnng off to find a ranger and locks herself and the girls in our jeep. Ranger shows up agrees yes just a coon. No bear. Wife calmed down a little after that. Turned out to be a great trip.

Last time I went caming was many years ago. The first day a park ranger stopped by and said if we heard dogs at night it was just the rangers chasing down bears.. Okay. The first afternoon we were down by a stream fishing and saw an old guy who said just the day before he saw a bobcat right where my family, wife, me three daughters and son were standing. Hmmm. The first night didn''t hear any dogs barking but the coyotes made plenty of noise. My wife freaked out. Next day a raccon got into some food and ripped open a bag of charcol. My wife decided it had to have been a bear, sends my son runnng off to find a ranger and locks herself and the girls in our jeep. Ranger shows up agrees yes just a coon. No bear. Wife calmed down a little after that. Turned out to be a great trip.

Hahahaha. Of those animals, only a bear would be much of a threat (unless, in certain circumstances, a little kid is found alone), and I'm guessing there's just black bears where you are which aren't too bad, but if you're camping in bear country it's probably a good idea to bring a gun or at least bear spray.

There was a cougar on my property last year! Pretty big, but it just minded it's own business. Other animals I've seen here since moving here last January include whitetail, foxes, and wild turkeys running through. And you can hear the coyotes pretty much every single night, but still haven't spotted one.

What's your recipe?

I make strawberry ice cream often - it's my wife's favorite. I use this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-ice-cream-like-ben-and-jerrys-122151

I made 2 qts of it last week and added 2 ripe bananas to the puree with the strawberries. Strawberry banana. It is good too.
Hmm that sounds pretty good. I basically just followed the directions that came with the ice cream maker, I just added some more strawberries and a little more sugar.

I do not like the recipe that came with the icecream maker. It calls for 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream in what is like 5 cups total ingredients. It's so rich it coats your mouth, and the spoon. It's actually kinda gross.

Not my best experiment. Then again, I've never made ice cream before.

Last time I went camping it was in the desert with a couple thousand of my closest friends.

Im not sure if it was roughing it or not.
Burning Man. :ban:

Hmm, my first aged cheese matured. I made my first beer, and my first batch of ice cream all in the same day. Interesting.

Hahahaha. Of those animals, only a bear would be much of a threat (unless, in certain circumstances, a little kid is found alone), and I'm guessing there's just black bears where you are which aren't too bad, but if you're camping in bear country it's probably a good idea to bring a gun or at least bear spray.

There was a cougar on my property last year! Pretty big, but it just minded it's own business. Other animals I've seen here since moving here last January include whitetail, foxes, and wild turkeys running through. And you can hear the coyotes pretty much every single night, but still haven't spotted one.

Yep, black bears which aren't really black they're brown. I live about 50 miles or so from the Sequoias. On almost every trip we see bears. One Thanksgiving my in-laws from Hawaii were visiting so we took a trip to the Sequoias. There was a very large bear foraging (I guess that is what it's called) on a steep hillside close to the road. We were all piled into two cars and stopped. Everybody got out pointed, took pictures. The bear didn't seem to being paying us much attention. Then, he looked up stared us down. My in-laws couldn't jump back in the car fast enough. They still talk about it whenever their California trip topic comes up.

Bobcats and cougars scare the bejezuss out of me. I get them mixed up but think bobcats are smaller. Still scary cats. I've seen my loving little house cat in full blown predator mode. I wouldn't want to be on the preyville end of something bigger.

I'm curious, does anyone else practice grammatically correct text messaging? I don't always text, but when I do, it's Dos Equis. :D

Yep, black bears which aren't really black they're brown. I live about 50 miles or so from the Sequoias. On almost every trip we see bears. One Thanksgiving my in-laws from Hawaii were visiting so we took a trip to the Sequoias. There was a very large bear foraging (I guess that is what it's called) on a steep hillside close to the road. We were all piled into two cars and stopped. Everybody got out pointed, took pictures. The bear didn't seem to being paying us much attention. Then, he looked up stared us down. My in-laws couldn't jump back in the car fast enough. They still talk about it whenever their California trip topic comes up.

Bobcats and cougars scare the bejezuss out of me. I get them mixed up but think bobcats are smaller. Still scary cats. I've seen my loving little house cat in full blown predator mode. I wouldn't want to be on the preyville end of something bigger.

Yeah, bobcats are actually pretty small.

I'm curious, does anyone else practice grammatically correct text messaging? I don't always text, but when I do, it's Dos Equis. :D
Yep, I do.

What's a bull moose?

(BTW, Leadgolmen my grammar is subpar whether I type on a keyboard or text :eek:)

Thing that scares me is a bull moose. I can handle bears and cats ok but a bull moose is a critter to be reckoned with.

Reminds me of the big 5 African game animals. Lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, and African buffalo. The most deadly of the 5? The buffalo.

Back