Mini-cooler in house project, feasible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkChemist

Reaction score
I have one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896808057

I was considering the feasibility of walling off small section of a spare room in
my house with foam sheeting/reflectix and light wood frame, and running/sealing the output hose to the window nearby, with a removable foam block for a door. Plan on having a wireless infrared camera inside to monitor fermentation, this would be for maintaining temps for fermentation in a house that fluxuates 10 degrees during the day due to too small of an AC unit and not enough circulation :p

Horrible idea? It would be ~ 10-15 degree differential at most, and i will be running a killawatt to see how inefficient it is. I am more worried about moisture than anything else.

The backup plan is just sealing up the entire room a bit, and leaving the AC in there set to ~ temp, with a few fans circulating air. Might do that to start to get a baseline on the amount of juice im burning tokeep a cooler room.

Might be worth doing in a north facing room and if you only expected to hold a small temperature drop. I was planning on doing the same thing but I decided to build a walk in cooler outside instead. Post up your build if you do go forward with it. I'd be interested in seeing how you do it.

I was really strongly considering doing this, but the loss of the usable space, distance to where I brew, cost of the project versus temperature profile all led me to the cooler project.

Back