Forgot to introduce myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
been on HBT since October and never formally introduced myself.

My name is Rob and I usually go by the online name GrogNerd*

I first read about homebrewing in a '93 issue of Details magazine (still have the article) while I was serving in the US Navy. after I got out, I got some starter equipment and brewed a few batches, including a 15-gallon batch of American lager for my brother's wedding. it was a hit.

but I ended up taking a break from brewing after moving to a smaller place with no room for my equipment. it sat in my dad's basement for 17 years before he retired and moved away and I moved into a larger house with plenty of room.

this past October, I brewed my first batch. it was MWS' Belgian blonde extract recipe and, although I made many beginner's mistakes, it turned out good and I was back into the obsession.

since then I've been able to collect the equipment and build up to full boil all grain batches. and wow... everything has changed since the last time I brewed. new styles, new ingredients, new equipment, new techniques. and an almost unlimited pool of resources online, especially here on HBT.

looking forward to it all.

*Etymology, From French grognard (“old soldier”), Noun
grognard (plural grognards), literally "grumbler"

• An old soldier.
  • an old veteran soldier; specifically of the grenadiers of the Imperial Guard (Grenadiers à Pied de la Garde Impériale); an old complaining soldier
  • (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing board wargames.
  • (computer games, slang) Inside the computer game development industry, a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

colloq: "mean old man", also in Spanish: gruñon

Back