Closing in on 1st week in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
I have read that the best is to leave it in for 2 more weeks. My question is do I need to bleed the keg and set a different psi ? I am currently at 34 deg F at 9 psi. Also I would like a sample would that cause a problem?
Thanks Steve:tank:

What i do is set my regulator from 10-15 PSI leave it for a week to 2 weeks and it's good to go carb wise. No need to bleed the keg, IMO. You can pull samples whenever you'd like to it just won't be carbed up for about a week.

At 34 degrees, 9 psi you're at 2.5 volumes of CO2, which is an appropriate carb level for most styles of beer. Don't touch the regulator until the keg is kicked! If you drop the PSI you'll get foaming and eventually the keg will be undercarbed.

It's fine to take a sample.

I think sampling is good so you can get an idea on how long it takes to carb beer using your method. The force carbing method I like to use results in carbonated beer in 3-5 days.

So at 7 days which be Sat. Should be a good day to sample. The beer is a clone of 3 Floyd's Gumball Head highly hopped wheat ale

I've found with my system, 10 days is about the right time for it to be done. I sample a little all the time though. I can't stay away from a new brew usually.

No need to bleed the keg. I always start taking samples a week after kegging. I think it gives you a good idea as to how slowly/rapidly your beer is carbonating.

As others have said 9 psi at 34 deg is good. Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Thaks guys for the info. will sample on Sat. and post my findings. Have a great Friday and weekend.
Steve

Back