Whirlfloc for a hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing a hefeweizen and am debating on whether or not I should use half a Whirlfloc tablet in the boil. Since hefeweizens are supposed to be cloudy, I am unsure if I should go with it or leave it out.

What's your opinion? Do you use Whirlfloc or Irish Moss in your hefeweizens and witbiers?

Thanks!

I am in the process of brewing a hefeweizen and am debating on whether or not I should use half a Whirlfloc tablet in the boil. Since hefeweizens are supposed to be cloudy, I am unsure if I should go with it or leave it out.

What's your opinion? Do you use Whirlfloc or Irish Moss in your hefeweizens and witbiers?

Thanks!

Yes, I do use whirlfloc. Often a hefeweizen has a yeast haze or a slight wheat haze- but it should never be murky. Whirfloc will clear out excess proteins in the wort, but not remove any of the nonflocculant yeast.

Yes, I do use whirlfloc. Often a hefeweizen has a yeast haze or a slight wheat haze- but it should never be murky. Whirfloc will clear out excess proteins in the wort, but not remove any of the nonflocculant yeast.

Thanks for the reply. I decided to go ahead and add the Whirlfloc.

Latest posts

Back