starter/attenuation/artificial selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm trying to plan out my next few brewdays and i got to thinking about the yeast and starters. I always make a starter, as i'm building up from slants for most of my brews.

I was wondering if my process might be leading me to artifically selecting for yeasties that are good flocculators, but not the best attenuators.

I'm wondering if by only cold crashing for a day or two and then decanting i'm throwing some of the best attenuating yeast cells down the drain, and only pitching the ones that flocced out quickly (in the 1-2 days in the fridge)?

I'm only thinking about this because my next beer is a saison that i want to make sure finishes nice and dry, so i've got to get the most out of my yeast. Also brewing a wit after that and i'm under the impression that the yeast is hard to get to flocculate.

Maybe i'm over thinking it, but want to make sure. I've got plans to enter these two beers in some comps and want them to be as good as possible.

Back