New to homebrewong would like some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonsss

Reaction score
I'm new to the home-brewing game and am more interested in all grain. I'm having trouble sortin through all the threads look for info that I need. So it anyone can point me in the right direction to learn about the hops, yeast and termination it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
John Palmer is an excellent source, also The Joy of Homebrewing is a very good source for all things from extract to all grain, read up on mashing details and watch plenty of videos of "how to mash" on youtube, I know it helped me a great deal when I switched from extract to all grain =), are you looking for any tips on equipment as well? :)

Hank_McGee said:
John Palmer is an excellent source, also The Joy of Homebrewing is a very good source for all things from extract to all grain, read up on mashing details and watch plenty of videos of "how to mash" on youtube, I know it helped me a great deal when I switched from extract to all grain =), are you looking for any tips on equipment as well? :)

Tips on equipment would be great as well!!

I assume you are doing probably 5 gallon batches, for the most simplified set of equipment I would highly suggest a 10 gallon stainless steel kettle thick, 2 makes it easier but not necessary, a 10 gallon MLT mine is amazing and worth the buy, I bought one pre setup from Midwest I believe with a ball valve and fake bottom about 105 bucks or you can make one with 2 buckets (old school) or a cooler from target or walmart for about 40 bucks if youre handy with some tools, im not so I cant exactly give advice =P if you have an electric stove like I do I suggest getting a 40 lb propane tank and outside propane burner as my electric stove cannot heat that amount of water, takes about 3 hours just for a small rolling boil hahaha, iif you are completely new to brewing, all grain might be difficult at first but hang in there, I personally did extracts for 2 years before all grain but the difference is AMAZING!, if you ARE in fact new invest in a 6.5 gallon carboy as a primary and if you believe in secondaries (I do) a 5 gal carboy. and everything imbetween, and if you get into all grain and want your own mill, such a great investment =Dask me if you have any questions, I can answer quite a bit of em but I am still only beginner/intermediate is what I rate myself haha

Firstly, there is an online version of how to brew (an older version but still mostly correct) at http://www.howtobrew.com/.

For All Grain there are two options that most of us here use. One is BIAB (Brew in a Bag) and one is the more traditional Brew Kettle, Mash Lauter Tun type of setup.

BIAB basically uses one pot and a mesh bag for equipment. You put the grains in the bag and add to the pot of mash water. The 'downsides' to this method are temperature retention and efficiency though some will argue with that.

With the more 'Traditional' approach, what I do, you have your Brew Kettle and an converted insulated cooler with and oftentimes a spare pot for heating sparge water. You mix grains in the cooler with the Mash waterr, which will maintain temps pretty well for the mash, then drain (usually using a false bottom or braid and valve in place of spigot) and then either fly or batch sparge. Downsides are startup equipment costs, space for equipment, stuck sparges, etc.

Then with both you bring the wort to a boil and add the hops and chill as normal. Look at examples of the brewing methods on youtube or the DIY projects for making each. Need any more help you cant find with a search just ask.

I'm new to the home-brewing game and am more interested in all grain. I'm having trouble sortin through all the threads look for info that I need. So it anyone can point me in the right direction to learn about the hops, yeast and termination it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Not really advise as much just relating how I got started.

I've had people I know over the years buy kits and make beer. Most were drinkable but not impressive. Most only brewed once and that was it. So I never gave it much thought.

2 years ago I met a pro brewer. He told me enough about all grain brewing that I decided to take the plunge. First I bought a kegerator from him for $50, and slowly started to assemble my brew op. That was in Dec. 2011. In Sept. of 2012 I finally brewed my first all grain batch, 10 gal. And I haven't regretted it at all.

While I was building my setup I studied like a MOFO, picking his brain and Googling. Google kept bringing up hits on this site and I joined.

During the study, and setup time, I spent a ton of bucks on, Reference beers.:mug:

I've made at least $500 in mistakes, but it was worth it in the end.

In short,... my advise is research is priceless, do a ton of it!
Study, study, study. And buy wisely, according to your budget.

You can do the baby steps if you want, that would be what I recommend to most, but jumping off a cliff and going 10 gallons AG was kind of a thrill for me. :ban:

Oh ya, I'm still new too, so,... what's this termination you speak of?

pb

I too am new(er) to homebrewing and had the benefit of someone that was brewing all grain batches to show me the ropes. He got me all set up and now that I'm wanting to move to all grain he's not around anymore dang it.

I think another good bet would be to do some google searches for brewing clubs around the area. In Kansas City there are three and I just found someone at work that's not only brewing all grain batches but is talking about opening his own brewpub.

As others have said unfortunately it comes down to how much money you can spend. For me I know I love brewing and will be doing it when I have time (and money). So when I go to all grain I'll be buying two 20 gallon pots (one MLT the other my brew pot). That'll let me do big 10 gallon beers. So when I can I'll be buying just the pots, then again when I have money I'll modify them with all the things that are needed.

So to me the biggest question is what's the biggest goal you have in mind for brewing right now? Because I can guarantee after brewing for a while that big far off goal will be the next thing you want. For me it's the 10 gallon batches of big beer...so all grain it is!

Edit: I don't know what this termination you speak of is but maybe you have terms confused?

I hope this helps you with your termination.

imagesCAE2QTEJ.jpg

Back