Chest Freezer/Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Target4235

Reaction score
Hi all, big fan of the forum.

I recently bought a kegerator that was built into an Amana chest freezer (triple tap tower already installed, came with a co2 tank, manifold, tubing, and connectors - seemed like the $300 was worth it in parts alone). When I picked it up from his place, I could have sworn it felt cool on the inside: not frozen, but it seemed to definitely work. Since I've brought it to my place, sanded it out, and re-epoxied it however, it is not getting cold. The sides on the inside might have a bit of degree difference to touch, but the inside cavity is not getting any colder. The compressor is working nonstop when I plug it in for a while, so I'm assuming that's not the problem. When it's on, I can hear what sounds like water or fluid dripping or moving through the back inside wall. Not sure if this is how the freon should sound or if that's evidence of a leak. Also not sure if the temperature controller is working properly or not, I'd love it if anyone had any advice on how to check that before I chuck the thing out.

I'm hoping I can fix this myself, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's an closed system leak and the thing's useless (I'd then have to do some more looking on CL to find a suitable replacement). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Did you lay the chest freezer down on its side during transport?

If so, did you let it rest for several hours in the upright position when you got it home before plugging it in?

Did you lay the chest freezer down on its side during transport?

If so, did you let it rest for several hours in the upright position when you got it home before plugging it in?

We were able to lift it and keep it upright during transport, don't think it every went on its side. It say for awhile, at least a few days, before I plugged it in.

You should have had him plug it in with now temp controller so it would be frozen when you picked it up. If they develop a leak in the coils they are not repairable because the coils are embedded in the walls.

You should have had him plug it in with now temp controller so it would be frozen when you picked it up. If they develop a leak in the coils they are not repairable because the coils are embedded in the walls.

I did have him plug it in and as I said before, I thought it was cold when I got it. However, it was nowhere near frozen or as cold as a freezer should be if powered up all the way. I know that if it's a freon or coil problem, I'm pretty much screwed.

Back