Elysian Space dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that I am addicted to that space dust. Hopefully someone has had it and made a good clone of it.

Chinook to bitter and late and dry additions of Citra and Amarillo for flavor and aroma.

Start with 85% 10% and 5% with the malts.

MALTS
Great Western premium two-row, c-15 and Dextra-pils

HOPS
Chinook, Citra and Amarillo

ABV: 7.2%

IBU: 70

That is probably a good start, someone with more expertise than me would have to doctor it up to get it where it needs to be.

15% crystal seems like an unbelievably huge amount of crystal for an IPA. Is it very sweet? I would go 90% 2-row, 4% C15 and 1% dextra-pils.

so... where does the other 5% come in?
90 + 4 + 1 = 95%... lol did you mean 95% base?

15% crystal seems like an unbelievably huge amount of crystal for an IPA. Is it very sweet? I would go 90% 2-row, 4% C15 and 1% dextra-pils.

you are probably right, I just got the grains used from their website, I am not up on recipe formulation at this point, trying to learn it...

I have seen a few IPA's with 10% crystal, also I thought I read that Dextra-pils added no flavor just head retention.

To clarify would you go 95-4-1 or 90-?-?

Both are very different hops. Would be a different beer for sure

Has anyone tried this? I attempted to use a recipe calculator and cant seem to get the proportions right, I am not able to reach the 7.2% elysian does.

Also any ideas on the yeast?

Just tried the real thing today, I'm interested in making it.

I'd start at looking at any west coast dipas, to me and we just got it here in Michigan like 2 months ago it tastes like hop stoopid or any other wet coast dipa and I think they have the malt bill and hops they use on their website.

I know this is an old post but I thought I would resurrect it. I've already put in the grain order at the LHBS. I will be subbing Caramel 20 for Caramel 15 since that's all I can get around here. I figure a 150F mash should get it close and it seems here recently they've been using whirlpool hops in the brew. I'm speaking of from when I tried this the past few months and drank it consistently. It was a different beer. I tried it at the same brew pub tap out of town over the course of three months. First time it tasted like Space Dust in the bottle, however, the most recent variations have been more like a hazy ipa of sorts. I figured maybe it was this pub. Anywho I got a can at a gig this weekend (7 hours away from said brew pub) and it tasted just like that as well. Now the only thing I can figure is either the recipe has changed a tad or the factory that is brewing this (southeast us) may have changed the formulation up a bit. Taking what seems to either be the most recent changes or possibly just a fresher batch in general here's what I'm brewing

Title: Space Dust clone
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Double IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.061
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.079
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 8.2%
IBU (tinseth): 73.13
SRM (morey): 7.63

FERMENTABLES:
12.5 lb - Pale 2-Row (80.6%)
2 lb - Caramel / Crystal 15L (12.9%)
1 lb - Carapils Malt (6.5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: First Wort, IBU: 24.6
0.75 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 14.09
0.75 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 11.01
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.55
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.9
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 5.6
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 4.38
1.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.84 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.2 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

It wouldn't surprise me if the brewery nudged the recipe towards the hazy side just to retain sales volume in the face of the neipa market onslaught over the last few years. If it works for the likes of Sierra Nevada, why not...

Cheers!

Back