Jimi Hendrix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of people forget to look beyond the notes when it comes to Hendrix. It wasn't just what he played its the way he played it. It was the fact that days after The Beatles or Cream released new albums he was playing their songs note for note and in many ways doing it better. Him being able to play his songs backwards and fitting notes/chords into his play that were out of key without anyone ever noticing. Or how he could sing, play rhythm and lead guitar, and chew gum at the same time like what he was doing was so easy. Not to mention what the standard was at the time. Once he broke the ice it was much easier for those who came after him.
He will never be the best technical guitarist ever, but when it comes to playing with pure emotion and soul he will always be near the top of the list.
My guitar teacher is classically trained and also a graduate for music. He talks all the time about how when you try to break Hendrix music down many times it makes no sense from a theory standpoint. Because as Jimi said, he plays colors and feelings, not notes.
Again you could argue all day that there are better guitarists, but you can't leave him out of the convo when you talk about who some of the best have been.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
I look at guitar before Hendrix and after Hendrix. Only person I think had close to as much effect on changing the guitar as him (in mainstream music mind you) are Chuck Berry and Eddie Van Halen.

Exactly. He is a bridge and a pivotal point in music. Lets not forget he was really only famous for 4 years and was only 24 when he really blew up.

So, have to resurrect this thread...Anybody get the latest posthumously realesed CD, People, Hell & Angels? Got mine over the weekend, Like it a lot. I think it displays some of Jimi's best playing.

I'm actually listening to it right now. I always liked "Izabella" anyway, so I'm partial to it.

I'm such a sucker for Hendrix's version of Like a Rolling Stone that I adapted my version off of his. My stupid family thinks it's lame except my brother.

Who cares what guitarist is better than another? It's all opinion based.

For me Hendrix is the best ever because I look at guitar before Hendrix and after Hendrix. Only person I think had close to as much effect on changing the guitar as him (in mainstream music mind you) are Chuck Berry and Eddie Van Halen.

JMO Hendrix is my number 1 guitarist, but honestly there can be a case for many many guitarists and what you value makes your list. My dad loves Lindsey Buckingham, I don't find him exceptional. Some people really love Jack White or John Mayer, I don't get it.

No, sorry, you're wrong, Rory > all guitarists. I think it's called Gallaghers law of awesomeness, or maybe I just made that up.

I had a feeling that bringing this thread back would re-start all the controversy. The subject of Jimi is like the subject of religion & politics, but better. I'm a huge Jimi fan, a huge Rory fan, a huge Bonamassa fan, Page fan, Michael Bloomfeid fan, Popa Chubby fan, Jeff beck... and many more...all great guitarists. Glad to hear that folks are passionate about music.

Girl rocks a Hendrix song on a Korean instrument called the gayageum.

the last 40 seconds of the song are totally :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, sorry, you're wrong, Rory > all guitarists. I think it's called Gallaghers law of awesomeness, or maybe I just made that up.

Probs made up.

I dunno I have a list of 10 guys I could argue into the top guitar spot at least. Maybe more.

I mean for me I love Hendrix but could easily argue Petrucci, Gilbert, etc. in as well as technical perfectionists and so on so forth. I love Jimi and Gallagher but they couldn't play stuff like Scarified or Glass Prison. One of the reasons why music is fun lots of great stuff.

Though I think we all can agree, whoever the guitarist from Blink 182 is stanks.

Rory Gallagher's BBC Sessions: Just found it recently, can't stop playing it. Awesome....

brilliant:

jimi.jpg

So I finally bought the new album yesterday and after listening to it I'm sad to say I'm a bit disappointed. Its not that I think its a bad album, because its not. I just cant help but feel like its not something Hendrix would have approved of as the final cut. While I understand its usually beyond the artist anyways what is finally decided upon as the finished record. When I listen to it I just know Hendrix would have made it better. In many ways it feels like his special touch is kinda missing. Mainly because he wasnt around to work it over with the producer. Only about 3 or 4 of the songs strike me as something Jimi would have been satisfied with while the rest, seem like a work in progress. Again, I dont want it to come off like its a bad record. It just doesnt have that unexplainable spark he always captured with the rest of his work IMO.

Just stumbled onto this thread. I love all his stuff. I even have some bootleg stuff thats great. Wish I could have seen him live. But it wasn't my generation. I am 41.

+HopSpunge+ said:
Just stumbled onto this thread. I love all his stuff. I even have some bootleg stuff thats great. Wish I could have seen him live. But it wasn't my generation. I am 41.

I hear ya. A lot of the time I feel like I was born in the wrong generation. Better late than never though lol.

I was just reading through this thread and it is pretty amazing to see all the disrespect for Hendrix. I understand the man's music is overplayed and he does get an enourmous amount of "credit" where some wil argue that he doesn't deserve as much of, but even if his style isn't to your tastes or if you've "out-grown" it, you should still respect the man.

No one played like he did before he came along, of course. There were plenty of blues players, but his use of rhythm, lead, 7ths, 9ths, octaves, unison bends, etc, etc.... were not used until he broke onto the scene. Rory Gallagher is great, but he was 3-4 years after Hendrix. I will not say the same for Clapton, as far as innovation goes because he didn't invent a style. Yet, his work with Cream, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, and the Yardbirds was out of this world. His solo stuff is crap for the most part; good songwriting, but nothing to write home about.

Clapton, Beck, Page, and Hendrix broke the mold for guitarists and brought heavy metal and screaming guitars to everyone's living room. Think about popular music before these cats and after these cats.....

I was just reading through this thread and it is pretty amazing to see all the disrespect for Hendrix. I understand the man's music is overplayed and he does get an enourmous amount of "credit" where some wil argue that he doesn't deserve as much of, but even if his style isn't to your tastes or if you've "out-grown" it, you should still respect the man.

No one played like he did before he came along, of course. There were plenty of blues players, but his use of rhythm, lead, 7ths, 9ths, octaves, unison bends, etc, etc.... were not used until he broke onto the scene. Rory Gallagher is great, but he was 3-4 years after Hendrix. I will not say the same for Clapton, as far as innovation goes because he didn't invent a style. Yet, his work with Cream, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, and the Yardbirds was out of this world. His solo stuff is crap for the most part; good songwriting, but nothing to write home about.

Clapton, Beck, Page, and Hendrix broke the mold for guitarists and brought heavy metal and screaming guitars to everyone's living room. Think about popular music before these cats and after these cats.....

Im right there with you man... well said.

Well put, couldn't agree more. Just watch any of the live footage that is available, can't deny the dude was groundbreaking. I think his biggest problem was Mitch, Noel and Chaz Chandler.

Clapton and Jeff Beck?......take your medication daddy-o.

EoinMag said:
Clapton and Jeff Beck?......take your medication daddy-o.

You're saying that Clapton and Beck didn't change attitudes about guitar playing? Clapton's popularity and imprint on society during his early years is undeniable. As for Beck, I think he is the best out of all of them as far as versatility, skill level, and unique sound. There isn't anyone outside of Beck that is as accomplished in so many styles. Go listen to Blow by Blow or Wired and then compare it to anything else he's done along with Page and the others. Page is a guitar god in his own right, but its my opinion that Beck runs circles around him as a guitarist, not songwriter though, and Zep is one of my favorite bands.

Jeff Beck is pretty amazing... But what about Yngwie Malmsteen? Another amazing guitarist. Though I don't think he has as much feeling as Hendrix. That's something you can't measure as far as skill and all and Hendrix had a lot of it.

my favorite hendrix recording: catfish blues-->Voodoo Child. I play it every week really, really effing loud.
Hendrix for your soul

once had a gig where dude came up and jammed Little Wing on a freaking BANJO

I just sat that one out. really just a rhythm guitar. can't play a lick of lead and Hendrix is above my skill set

I don't no if its been mentioned already. But I would have to place Frank Zappa in the top 5. He is massivley underated as a guitar player. He dabbled into everything; jazz, rock, funk, whatever you name it.

I don't no if its been mentioned already. But I would have to place Frank Zappa in the top 5. He is massivley underated as a guitar player. He dabbled into everything; jazz, rock, funk, whatever you name it.

100% agreed....

Frank Zappa is definitely an underrated guitarist, but also an underrated musician period. His cranking out of original material (62 albums in his lifetime) has and never will be duplicated. Black Napkins, Rat Tomago, Rubber Shirts, almost any solo off of Guitar, and so many many more great guitar pieces..... The man was an animal on guitar.

You're saying that Clapton and Beck didn't change attitudes about guitar playing? Clapton's popularity and imprint on society during his early years is undeniable. As for Beck, I think he is the best out of all of them as far as versatility, skill level, and unique sound. There isn't anyone outside of Beck that is as accomplished in so many styles. Go listen to Blow by Blow or Wired and then compare it to anything else he's done along with Page and the others. Page is a guitar god in his own right, but its my opinion that Beck runs circles around him as a guitarist, not songwriter though, and Zep is one of my favorite bands.

Absolutely! Been listening to There & Back this morning. Seen him live twice. Excellent guitarist. Ditto for Zappa, that dude is incredible.
By the way, RIP Ray Manzarek, say Hi to Jimi, Duane, Janis and the gang...

Absolutely! Been listening to There & Back this morning. Seen him live twice. Excellent guitarist. Ditto for Zappa, that dude is incredible.
By the way, RIP Ray Manzarek, say Hi to Jimi, Duane, Janis and the gang...

Beck is the kind of player who makes it look so damn easy, like he's putting almost no effort into it at all

to the point where it makes me just want to put down the guitar for good

Beck is the kind of player who makes it look so damn easy, like he's putting almost no effort into it at all

to the point where it makes me just want to put down the guitar for good

Thats how I feel when I watch Hendrix do stuff like this without missing a beat...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back