Can I use pellet 90 hops in a hop bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if a food grade small hop bag can handle pellets?

I am sure it handles normal hops....but maybe the pellets will just turn into a pulpy thing and go thru the bag. Any ideas?

The answer to both is "yes". You will have a little hop debris "bleed through" but for the most part it will swell and stay put in the bag. I use a paint strainer in the boil, and a muslin bag for dry hopping with pellet hops.

+1. I use muslin hop sacks for pellets,the larger muslin grain bags I save from kits for whole leaf hops. The whole leaf has far greater volume for the same weight as pellets. And no more than 1oz per hop sack to allow for decent flow through as they swell up.

+1. I use muslin hop sacks for pellets,the larger muslin grain bags I save from kits for whole leaf hops. The whole leaf has far greater volume for the same weight as pellets. And no more than 1oz per hop sack to allow for decent flow through as the swell up.

Yep, it's pretty amazing to see the end volume after hydrated, then look over at those little bags they originated from.

Back