Kegerator/Keezer build for 2 sixth barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william1155

Reaction score
Hey all first time posting here and just seeking advice with a project with many questions.

This all started with plans to build a mini bar (image below). It is my first draft with the basic concept. Since then it has snowballed into having it contain some short of cooling unit to hold two sixth barrels for a dual tap system. There are more wet dream additions, but first to cross this bridge. From everything that I have read many people are struggling with fitting 2 cornies in a converted kegerator. From there I was led to keezers. Hell, I even looked into building a refrigeration unit from scratch. So here I am SOL and I am beginning to doubt the possibility. I have the different plans in my head but nothing strong enough to attempt. So far I haven't found any links close enough to what I am doing that will aid me.

Here is my dilemma:

~I would rather convert (Considering modifying existing kegerator or even using fridge scraps)

~I would need a unit that is no larger than the height and depth of a counter top, roughly
~~(even considering a mini chest freezer sideways)

~I want to fit two sixth barrels
~~(I would eventually like to homebrew, but for now I would rather drink beer I know is good)

~I would prefer it to open from the front so that the kegs can be easily changed
~~(A mini chest freezer is an option given that I wouldn't need to run lines too far)
~~~how far could I even run unrefrigerated lines without it being an issue?

~Is there anything out there that would not need to have insulation removed?
~~(I have seen some models which "could" work, but I fear I would be removing too much insulation)

~No more than $300 for the cooling unit

~I have read that it is better to have your gas tanks out of the fridge. is this true?
~~(allowing more fridge space)

~I have cutouts of the different keg diameters and dowels for height which include about 4 inches for lines to kegs that I have brought to various stores for a rough fitting. No luck. Some models online look possible, but... yeah not really something to "try".

I have seen the links for confirmed mini fridge conversions (but again only with cornies)
I have seen the monster keezers that can hold anything
I have seen the keg-o-vision
I have seen the commercial dual tap kegerators

IS THIS EVEN A POSSIBILITY?!?!??

BACKGROUND: Mech Eng Major in 20's with no hands on experience in a conversion

MiniBaronline.jpg

My neighbor has 6 kegs in his kegerator (upright fridge with top freezer). So space is not an issue in those.

I think you should convert a chest freezer. The sixth barrels are larger than cornies, but that's why you build the collar so that it is taller.

If you just want two sixth barrels, I would bet a 4 or 5 cu ft. freezer would accomodate the footprint. Then you put a 6" or so collar on there and have good clearance plus a place to mount your taps. That freezer might cost you $100 on Craigslist (cooling unit and all). The other accoutrements may cost more but if you're handy and like to drink kegged beer, that may be the best approach.

It's space consuming but works wonders.

BannonB

I have a 7 cu. Ft. Chest freezer that i converted that sounds perfect for what you're looking for. I fit 2 sixtels in there no problem along w bottles that i store on the ledge inside. Here's a picture. The most complicated part was the wood work for the collar.

ForumRunner_20130529_204446.png

ForumRunner_20130529_204446.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured the chest freezer would be the best route, but I was hoping there was a mini fridge out there that could accommodate. Now I need to find the smallest chest freezer that could fit 2 sixth barrels and run lines up to the taps in the back. Does anyone know how long I can run lines unrefrigerated without a problem?

Back