Carmelized corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
Today I was preparing to bottle my oatmeal stout and forgot about the boiling corn sugar. I smelled a mild burning smell and realized that the water had boiled off and the corn sugar was carmelizing. It didn't burn, but turned a light brown color. After a few choice words, I started over with fresh sugar. My question is this, what would have happened if I had used the carmelized sugar? I know people use other things like molasses and malt extract to carbonate dark beers, but has anyone ever tried this? Would there still be adequate carbonation, and would it have added flavor? Thank you.

You would have had a slightly caramally tasting finish on the beer, and probably slightly less carbonation than the normal corn sugar would produce, since the maillard reaction produced by the caramalization renders a portion of the sugar unfermentable.

Back